close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frangible or Hollowpoint

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 27, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Do you like hollowpoints that retain all their weight or frangibles that disintegrate into 300+ pieces (read Glaser) or something like the Quik Shok that breaks into three prestressed pieces to create their own wound channels after entry ? :eek: :rolleyes: :fuss: :rolleyes: :target: Why ?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

It seems to me that they are about equally effective in transferring their kinetic energy into the target. I would imagine the prefragmented ammo would cause wounds that are harder to treat, should you improperly apply deadly force.

3. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan G&G Newbie

In my opinion, multiple entries of foreign object in a man's tissue creates more harm as each tissue is connected to several nerves that are interdependently linked to the entire system. These damages increases the possibility for fatality. With these I think the frangible works better inmy premise.

4. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

In my op. the frangable would be the sure bet. It couldn't plug upthe hole with clothing and turn it's self into a hardball. The franigable would work everytime and be safer from overpenitration.

5. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

The only problem with pre-frag ammo is it will come apart if it hits something before the target...

6. JohnD

JohnD Member

And you may get under penatration too. Like if you hit a hand or watever.

7. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

I like Triton's approach, A HP round that acts like a regular HP, but will split into three pieces when expanded. They are expensive, and from the gel tests I've done on them, they tend to actually split into three pieces and create three different wound channels about 50% of the time. the other 50% they tend to act just like a regular HP. I've never had one fail to open to at least 30% it's original size. I've only done the 9mm (9x19) and .380 (9x17), the .45 and .357 sig are planned, just waiting on the money.

8. BillyJoeRayBob

BillyJoeRayBob G&G Newbie

WV
    I mostly agree the approach found on the reports in this website...

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

I prefer a heavy hollowpoint, but I don't rely on them to perform 100%, I believe in placement over all. If I do my job behind the gun, even a FMJ will do the job in front of it.

9. mec

mec Guest

I think the JFK quote is like the question " What's the fasting thing on two wheels? ans: Lyndon Johnson riding through Dallas on a bicycle."(circa 1963)

I've also had good experience with the Triton QS. They perform as advertised on beef brisket and I fired several through a 2x6 finding that the bullets were still in one piece when they hit a target board about three feet behind. Another plus is that the QuiK Shok has the same performance parameters as JHPs of the same weight and unlike a lot of pre-frags, hits to the same poi.

Review : http://www.milesfortis.com/guests/mcump/mc10.htm