Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Makarov caliber is about .364", right? Well, the same way people use .354" bullets in 35 Whelen (.358") and .308" bullets in 7.62x39 (.311") What about using .357" bullets in the 9mm Makarov? Yes, whole new loads would have to be figured out, but is it doable? It would seem to be more advantageous for CCW.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would expect you would also get a bit of gas blow-by. If that's the case, it will wear on your barrel and cause erosion

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Your brass won't last long, either.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
IMHO - It won't work at all.

If the Makarov round headspaced on the rim, then you could get away with it. I expect, though, that it headspaces on the mouth like most other auto pistol rounds. To use a .357 bullet you will have to "crush" the mouth of the casing to keep the bullet from slipping down. This will ruin the headspacing.

I expect that the loaded round would move so far into the chamber that the firing pin won't reach it.

Bottom line - it won't work.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes total sense to me. Only reason I wanted to try it was to give it more power for CCW. Doesn't look like I'll be packin a Mak anyway. Glad to have plenty of knowledge here!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,335 Posts
I think Bookman's right, in an auto-loader it isn't feasible. I did do this in a .38 revolver. I bought a box of .38 Super (IIRC) bullets by mistake, and didn't want to drive clear across town to return them. I loaded the .354 bullets into the .38 cases, and they worked rather well - decent accuracy. I did have a problem with a couple shifting forward in recoil, locking the cylinder. They needed to be well crimped.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Battle Rifle, what kind of power are you looking to get? I carry my Mak CCW with 120g HP screaming at about 925FPS for 228FPE. I carry it beacuse it's as compact as most .380's (a little bigger) and packs a helluva better punch.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've concluded that the Mak isn't good for me in any case. The kind of power I'm going for... Well, I'm one of those who are not extremely confident of 9mm Luger. I'll probably be going 40 cal, if not 45, but no smaller than 9x19mm.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I too am one who thinks the .45 out preforms the 9x19. Frame size and weight are a bit hard to conceal though. Have you ever handeled the S&W titanium or scandium frame revolvers? OMG! they are feather light. It shockes the heck out of you. You think okay a revolver, light weight, ya-ya... But when you pick it up, you think What is this! plastic!! I'm thinking of buying one.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never handled a Titanium revolver, but just ordered a Steyr M40. Pretty good combination of price, concealability, and substantiality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mak Caliber

The Mak caliber is 9.2 x 18mm. This is .363".

If you like the Mak (anyone whose ever tried one does) and want better velocity, check out the new .32 NAA load thats been developed.

As usual, the place to go is: www.gunboards.com/forums

Regards,
Shane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by jarcp
Battle Rifle, what kind of power are you looking to get? I carry my Mak CCW with 120g HP screaming at about 925FPS for 228FPE. I carry it beacuse it's as compact as most .380's (a little bigger) and packs a helluva better punch.
and packs a helluva better punch. ??????????

NOT in my experience - I have shot the silver bear and barnhaul mak HP rounds into milk jugs - stopped in the 2nd gal jug. the silver bear HP in .380 stopped in the 3rd gallon jug - this is AT LEAST 6 inches more penetration

rpb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts