close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Free gun database on your phone

Discussion in 'Off The Reservation' started by 455rocket, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

I received an email from Bud's gun shop in Kentucky with a free gun database that you can download to your phone from the app store. There is a lot of information that this database will store, including firearm serial numbers, price, accessories added, photos, range data, ammo count, last cleaned, and more.
    I thought it would be a good place to keep my inventory on in the event of a computer issue and it got wiped out.
    It's easy to download from the app store, just type gunDB into your search and it will pop up.

2. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Ah, I just bought one! Oh well, didn't pay much and it's nice to use.

Moroco Mole, Junction15 and neophyte like this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    My reservation about this app would be that anyone gaining access to your phone (like the cops, or a clever thief with a tame hacker) would then learn how much of what you have, and probably your address as well. I'm not saying you're telling thieves, "Here you are, help yourselves," but it's not something I would get for my phone.

Chris, MoDoc, Moroco Mole and 3 others like this.
  4. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

Even the FBI struggles to break into an iPhone, so I'm not too concerned with an "apple picker" getting his hands on it. They've struggled to get into the phones of those crazy terrorist's. https://wccftech.com/fbi-cant-access-texas-church-phone/
    I have my phone set to lock automatically after just a few seconds, and it has extra security measures since it's also my work phone.

Moroco Mole, Junction15 and Rocky7 like this.
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

How about this scenario? You are in an accident and unconscious. The cops pull your cellphone and see gunDB app. They think for some reason you were drunk and caused the accident. Gives them a reason to bust into your place and seize all your guns since you may be a convicted felon soon. Don't think there is no way they can bust into your phone sometime in the future.

6. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    How does one add extra security to iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Moroco Mole and Junction15 like this.
  7. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

I work for a large company and we have our own department dedicated to IT/security. They take care of adding additional software to my PC and phone to ensure company information can't be hacked. I think that some security software that you can purchase for your home PC can also be added to phones as well.

Moroco Mole, Rocky7 and Junction15 like this.
  8. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

Moroco Mole, Rocky7 and Junction15 like this.
  9. gandog56

Never say it CAN'T be hacked, because secure systems are constantly hacked.

The DNC probably thought they couldn't be hacked.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  10. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

Your right if there is a will there is a way, and if someone is really wanting to get information they could probably get it, but there are bigger fish in the sea than me to worry about. They could also get a lot of information/dirt from posts on this forum about what people own or what they do, than they can get from most peoples phones. (there is no security on here)

I also can't run my life with my tin foil hat on all the time, sometimes I need to take it off to go out into public. I'm going to use the data base and take my chances, as I think it's as secure as anything else that I use. You are welcome to do whatever you choose, I just put the post out there for anyone who might be interested.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  11. gandog56

Yeah, I went through a little grief when I applied for a C&R license from the ATF. A LOT of people were saying they'll have your name and know you have guns. And I said, so what? Every time I go through an NIC check they know I have guns.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  12. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

I'm not concerned about people gaining access to my phone as much as my concern for third party software and apps. There are many apps originating from overseas companies -- designed to steal data stealthfully -- the Apple Store spends a great deal of time hunting these out and removing them ---but once installed and used, it's kind of too late. Don't even get me started on the flaws of jail broken phones, lol. I'm all for technology, but I have limits when it comes to such information.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  13. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

If you have enough guns that you can write all the info for them in some app.......You don't have enough guns. LOL

bullet maker and Moroco Mole like this.
  14. AMEN

bullet maker and AK Hunter like this.
  15. Thanks a bunch for the info

16. there are people in the FBI that struggle to run a fever LOL

17. you can put my technology into a thimble. Prime candidate for a hack.

Mindy up North likes this.
  18. Thank you

19. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

Actually, your self acknowledgment regarding your abilities is the first step in protecting yourself.