Fried bread

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killer, May 11, 2008.

1. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I was stunned by some of the great replies guys about stew and your one secret ingredient. How about some help with my fried bread.

What I mean by fried bread is flour mixed with water, flattened about 1/2" thick and thrown in a frying pan with just enough oil to fry it.

I've tried mixing in milk instead of water, potato flakes, dehydrated milk, baking powder...guess that's it. I'm still looking for idea's though.

bigbuddy21 I might try your chilibiscuits you mentioned as a fried bread recipe..."When I make it I also make redchili biscuits. You make homemade biscuits and add a little chilipowder to the mix."

Any other idea's out there for fried bread? Thanks guys in advance.

2. Different to my kind of fried bread which is just normal bread,which you have covered in beaten egg and fried.

3. We'd call that French toast over here, Murph. We usually add a little milk to the egg, too. Some folks just dip the bread and fry it; others let it soak until it's saturated and swells up before frying. I'll take it either way.

Fry bread is a staple food with many American Indians, dating back to the days when they were pushed onto reservations and had to live off government commodities, which were big on basics like flour and lard.

Here's a fairly typical recipe:

1 C flour
    1 t baking powder
    1/4 C powdered milk
    1/4 t salt
    warm water

Combine the ingredients and slowly add enough warm water to form dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until it is smooth soft and not sticky. Cover and let rest 1 hour. Shape into small balls and pat into flat circles about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Set aside.

In skillet, heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side and drain on paper towels.

A lot of people slit the middle, or punch a hole in it. It should be fried at a high temperature, so that it browns quickly instead of soaking up whatever grease or oil you're using. When I make it, I usually serve it with red chile pork stew: a piece in the bottom of each bowl, with a couple of ladles of stew over it.

It can also be sprinkled with sugar, or sugar and cinnamon, as it comes out of the pan.

Another, more basic recipe:

4 cups white flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder

Combine all ingredients. Add about 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water and knead until dough is soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls the size of a small peach. Shape into patties by hand; dough should be about l/2 inch thick. Make a small hole in the center of the round.

Fry one at a time in about l inch of hot lard or shortening in a heavy pan. Brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with honey or jam.

4. turner

turner Guest

Troy, Your recipe reminds me of a staple at our hunting "camp" (actually a fully furnished cabin/house), when I first started hunting back in the late '60s. There were several Italian fellas there and they called the fried bread "pizza-fritte" and we ate it plain, covered in powdered sugar and also with tomato, "pizza", sauce poured over top. As I think back now, I cannot tell you which I remember more fondly, the pizza-fritte or the homemade Italian bread one fella's 90 yr old Mom made for us. Da*n, hungry now!

5. I remember the first time a friend of mine in New York showed up with a pan of lasagna his mom had made from scratch, still warm from the oven. I thought I had died and gone to the big Italian diner in the sky. Hers is the only genuine homemade lasagna I've ever eaten, and no restaurant has ever come close to matching it.

I do make a mean focaccia (Italian-style flat bread), though. I've never tried reducing it to a recipe, but I'll give it a shot:

4 cups unbleached white flour, halved
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    one pkg dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    herbed garlic oil (Olive oil with a few finely-minced garlic cloves in it, along with a couple spoonfuls of Italian Seasoning or whatever herbs you like, such as rosemary or sage; it's better if it has time to set for a few days. I keep a bottle in the fridge.)

Dissolve the yeast in the warm (not hot!) water, along with the sugar to feed it. When it starts working a little, mix it into half the flour, along with the salt. You should get more a batter than a dough. Stick it in the refrigerator covered, long enough for it to rise all the way and collapse again; overnight if possible.

Mix the rest of the flour into the batter, and knead it until it's smooth. You may have to add a little more flour or water, but don't overdo the water. Spread a little oil on a low-sided cookie pan, butter it, or spray it with Pam or some such. Flatten the dough into the middle of the pan until it covers half the pan, and cover lightly with plastic wrap.

When the dough has risen until it's roughly double the volume and poking it leaves a dimple, start punching it and spreading it out with your fingertips, until it covers the whole pan. It should be covered with holes and dimples from your fingertips when you get done. Then shake the herbed garlic oil thoroughly, and spread a good layer over the dough. Set it aside for another hour or so to rise again.

Bake it in a preheated, very hot oven (about 450-475 degrees, for anywhere from ten to twenty minutes, depending on how crisp you want it. Or you can cook it longer in a 350 degree oven until it's well-browned, if you'd rather. For the ultimate in decadence, cut yourself a piece while it's still hot, spread some butter and watch it melt into the dimples, then pig down...

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

minced onion and or garlic powder in the mix ,parsley.

fry the bread in bacon grease!
    yummy!

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  7. killer try it with corn meal. I've also made it with cornmeal and cream of wheat. You can also make hoecakes using cornmeal salt water and cook it on a flat iron with just enough oil or fat to keep it from sticking.

8. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I've never tried it, but some guys on a Jeep forum I know swear by deep-fired Oreo cookies!

9. killer

killer G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

Here's the results of 1.5 cup of regular flour with 1 tsp of baking soda, fried in a little canola oil (about 2 table spoon worth).

Nothing else in it or on it.

11. killer

killer G&G Newbie

D'oh.....I took your advice with warm water too.

12. try making Troy2000's bread dough, add minced onion, minced garlic, oregano and some fresh basil. Knead it into the dough. Rip of pieces of the dough and deep fry them until brown. I believe the Italians call it Zepola or something like that

13. turner

turner Guest

You took the words right outta my mouth....lol

14. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Might be good with a little pepper sprinkled on top...that's how I like my biscuits sometimes.

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Try mixing in some crumbled Feta, and 5-6 turns of fresh black pepper.

16. I missed telling you that was a good picture. I had just eaten, and it made me hungry again anyway.

17. Interesting ! I thought at first killer meant "hot water corn bread" which is fryed too.

18. I hope your happy I'm fixin' to go fry up some flat bread now! Gonna eat mine with some Hurst 15(14 I pic out the chickpeas)bean soup. Might eat it with my homemade cane syrup. I guess it might be 15 bean cause I add butter-beans plus cream corn tomatoes extra chili powder and chicken and smoked sausage. Now who's don got hungrified!(I know it ain't no word)

19. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

LOL! Hungrified. Thats a good one!