Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited some friends on election day, and the son of the family told me he got yet another rifle. He said it was a serious single shot deer hunting rifle. My assumption was a simple break action NEF, but I was amazed when he brought out a beautiful Ruger #1. Boy does that lever actuated block move smoothly. The finish was excellent, and it came complete with a 3-9 scope(not sure what the manufacturer was, probably mid-quality, possibly Bushnell). It was used and bought from Gander Mountain. They tend to range from absurdly expensive to absurdly inexpensive on used rifles, and no one told me how much it was, but I'm tending to think they got a good deal. Stock was smooth, glossy wood, finish was blued with no sites, just the Ruger scope mounts and rings.

So what do you guys think he should have paid for this?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,366 Posts
I figure a range of $550.00 ~ $650.00?

$920.00 average MSRP (depending on model)

I'm sure the MFG has at least a 40%~ 50% margin

This would make top dealer price approx $506.00 Costing the MFG around $300.00 to produce.

Gun store selling new, to stay below book price approx $840.00

A used gun in excellent/very good condition dealer may buy for 50% off list.

Dealer may typically give approx $460.00 (depending on outright buy or trade)

Profit margin would be a bit lower on a used gun vs new, say 25% ~30% margin.

A 25% margin would be $613.00 sold used to customer from dealer.

A profit of approx $150.00 for the gun, which dosen't seem out of line.

If he got it for below $500.00 I'd call that a smoki'n deal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a few No. 1's. Last one I bought was a 1978 Red pad 7mm Rem Mag in pristine condition one owner gun that was bought on an Elk trip as a backup to his .338. He fired half a box of shells through it to sight in the Leupold VarX-II 3x9x40 scope and it sat in his gun safe ever since. I got it for $550 with the scope and hard case, no box or paperwork though, but I am tickled to have it. Lots of times you can find these in heavy calibers like 416 Rigby or 375 H&H that people buy thinking they need a cannon and fire them a few times and have to have shoulder surgery, then get rid of them cheap. For my money, I don't think there are many other guns that match the NO. 1. I do a lot of handloading and the action on these guns can handle anything you put through them. I am personally attracted to the quality walnut stocks, especially the higher grade ones found on the Tropicals and the No. 1 medium Sporters because I like the "Alex Henry" forearms.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been thinking a Ruger #1 would be an excellent platform for a 50 caliber wildcat idea I had, one that shoots BMG bullets just barely subsonic.

I also would love to have a gun with the #1's type of action chambered in 50 BMG, but I highly doubt the largest #1 could even take that round.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,016 Posts
A couple years back, our local gun/pawnshop had a Ruger #1 in .270, with the International (full manlicher) stock - it was a real beauty! They were asking $600 - I couldn't swing it at the time, and really had no use for the caliber. Still, want can often over-ride 'need'. I often wish I'd paid down on it, as I had with a couple other guns before. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts