Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very much support gun rights but I have a neighbor in a rapidly growing area shooting all day ever weekend day. It's in the county and legally ok but with the selling of farms for houses, un-neighborly. Several have ask he just cut back some. He does and then claims he's setting up a firing range and starts back up a few weeks later. There are small children and nervous pets now. Does your neighbors not count at all? How do neighbors come to a reasonable agreement? I want ppl to be able to shoot & families feel safe

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Hmmm...I don't mean to be insensitive but he is probably legal in what he's doing, he will probably get grandfathered in and by his continuing to shoot on his property is being smart, the term "let the buyer beware" comes to mind (what if a noisy airport got built), and the developers could offer to buy him out.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
then stop whining about it.
if it's legal it's legal.

try going over and joining in once in a while.
you could also pitch in and help him make sure he has a safer place to shoot by building him some walls and a better berm.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
And the intro forum is intended as a place for new members to share a little information about themselves, their background in firearms, fishing, even military service, or law enforcement experience, etc rather than whining about a neighbor.

So in regards to the purpose of the forum you chose to post in, welcome to G&G...

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,304 Posts
I had the same dilemma back in N. Georgia.
I solved it by buying more ammo, and shooting more often.

A developer bought land around me, and my shooting ranges.
After he built/sold homes to city dwelling yuppies. They thought/demanded that I had to follow their covenants. Good luck with that B.S.!
Many ended up taking the developer to court. And I continued to shoot and give shooting lessons, when ever I wanted to. :D

BTW
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Seems to me that the guy with the ranges was there first. If I didn't want to be around someone who shot guns a lot, I wouldn't buy property around him, then expect him to change to suit me. That's kind of like buying a house next to a pig farm, then telling the farmer he needs to stop raising pigs. Ain't gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Where we live out, in the county, a development went in about 1/8 mile behind my back yard range. I haven't stopped shooting here and don't plan to. My impact zone is a wooded ravine on our property and I built up a back stop behind my target area. Lots of folks shoot around here. If the newcomers don't like it they can move back to the city.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Anytime I hear or read someone say, "I'm all for........, BUT........" I am instantly aware that they DO NOT support what they say they support.

We had a leftist couple move into the 5 acre place next to us, then immediately start complaining about my shooting. We are in a rural area, and it's perfectly legal. Lots of folks out here shoot. They came from the city expecting to make everyone bend to their city rules.

If you don't like it, don't move where people shoot.

·
Registered
20,622 Posts
We have that going on around here. People who have been shooting on their own property for generations have had neighbors sell their old farms. These farms become suburbs.
The first thing the newcomers want to do is make the people who were here first abide by their rules.
Smacks of Colonialism and Manifest Destiny to me, which is odd because it is mostly liberals who move into these areas to complain, and those are both things they think are evil.
We have a regular who has had the cops sent on him three times for shooting where he is legally allowed to. He switched to CO2 guns just to be able to enjoy his retirement with some peace.

We have a nearby neighborhood that built up behind an indoor shooting range. They were complaining about 73 decibels that could be heard. I don't think they realize that when you are in the parking lot of that range the construction sounds and the traffic are louder than the range and are both more likely culprits. Also, 73 decibels is nothing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Anytime I hear or read someone say, "I'm all for........, BUT........I am instantly aware that they DO NOT support what they say they support.

We had a leftist couple move into the 5 acre place next to us, then immediately start complaining about my shooting. We are in a rural area, and it's perfectly legal. Lots of folks out here shoot. They came from the city expecting to make everyone bend to their city rules.

If you don't like it, don't move where people shoot.
Exactly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ty for your replies. I have been here 5 yrs and he just started. Maybe there was a barrier. I do not know. I thought ammo was expensive & 12 hrs a day a bit much. We are on fixed incomes now. I understand he's is well within his rights, things change, I do not want neighbors but can not move. I adjust some & join there neighborhood chat to work a few issues out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems to me that the guy with the ranges was there first. If I didn't want to be around someone who shot guns a lot, I wouldn't buy property around him, then expect him to change to suit me. That's kind of like buying a house next to a pig farm, then telling the farmer he needs to stop raising pigs. Ain't gonna happen.
Not a range yet & started this summer.Been here a while

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have that going on around here. People who have been shooting on their own property for generations have had neighbors sell their old farms. These farms become suburbs.
The first thing the newcomers want to do is make the people who were here first abide by their rules.
Smacks of Colonialism and Manifest Destiny to me, which is odd because it is mostly liberals who move into these areas to complain, and those are both things they think are evil.
We have a regular who has had the cops sent on him three times for shooting where he is legally allowed to. He switched to CO2 guns just to be able to enjoy his retirement with some peace.

We have a nearby neighborhood that built up behind an indoor shooting range. They were complaining about 73 decibels that could be heard. I don't think they realize that when you are in the parking lot of that range the construction sounds and the traffic are louder than the range and are both more likely culprits. Also, 73 decibels is nothing.
New shooting, been her a bit

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
for everyone's sake work with the guy.
you might even like him.

as far as ammo expenses go.
I could walk outside and do a magazine dump out of one of my ar-15's, 45acp and 9mm pistols, then shoot 50 rounds of shot shells every single day of the year for at least the next 5 years.
that would be before I had to refill the cases from current on hand supplies, nor even touch a box of factory ammunition.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
So it seems that you are looking for a answer to your problem, of people shooting, from people who enjoy shooting . I wish I had a answer for you that would be swallow able to all , but I think you are looking more for a answer that would be more to your liking, than it would be to mine. Try a one on one approach to the person/person's doing the shooting and talk with them. Try to see their point of view, as the law is already on their side, otherwise you would not be here asking how to end the shooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If he's shooting 12 hours a day, it's a range. If he's legal, he doesn't have to be neighborly. Maybe he's hoping to drive the city folks back to the city.
He does not have enough land to have a legal range. His closest neighbor has been asking for advise from county commissioner. I really do try to keep ppl from involving law & being a problem for local law. Thinning neighbors is ok by me too. My husband is a Retired Vietnam vet (airborne) & had enough guns between the war & being law enforcement. Would not mind if he hunted; I grew up eating game. Some teens, killed my giant Flemish rabbits & I want a paintball gun to wait up for them. It's a fight here. Not sure I could kill someone, so no real guns for me. Stage4 FLD cirrhosis makes me weak. ( not from alcohol but I like it too)
I also wish I knew why it's so loud now. My German Shepard was shot at as a puppy & she gets so upset she takes my skin off my arm. Even putting ear plugs in would be ok if it was not for small children & frightened animals.
I do respect his rights but HE IS A NEW problem. We have retired FBI that defends his rights too because ignorance runs rampant. We have tried to get 1 woman to understand if you have casings on your property, the holes in your house are not stray bullets. She calls county for noise complaints but never shows them casings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it seems that you are looking for a answer to your problem, of people shooting, from people who enjoy shooting . I wish I had a answer for you that would be swallow able to all , but I think you are looking more for a answer that would be more to your liking, than it would be to mine. Try a one on one approach to the person/person's doing the shooting and talk with them. Try to see their point of view, as the law is already on their side, otherwise you would not be here asking how to end the shooting.
This is new for this area & the ppl right next door have made several personal appeals. They have 4 small kids it's scares and a dog who hides. I have offered to go too. They are also making "discreet inquiries". Just want skin on my arms and not to feed my dog extra Prozac ( I do not like 12 hr shooting). The replies they get are, "better take care of it now before his buddies start drinking & shooting". Frightening a mother of 4. If the law finds a way in, you know they are looking, it will cause issues with others who shoot on heir property. The man needs to be reasonable and ease up. There has to be a middle ground. There are pics of vehicles coming & going. I was hoping to get some insight here to cause more cooperation amongst the neighbors. It's a long story & guess my original post should have been longer too. I do not like his shooting sprees but not willing to involve law or take pics.

·
Wonderment :)
34,354 Posts
TooTired: Ma'am; as suggested before; go visit with a pie and plan :)
1. Invite the family to a neighborhood old fashion picnic.
2. No; to any bullying
3. No; to politics
4. No to any ugly
5. No alcohol
6. It may take several invites

Learn about one another; sharing.
Brothers and sisters living together

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If I were legally shooting on my property and folks tried to tell me to slow down or stop, I'd tell them to pound sand. I'm a three tour Vietnam Veteran, Airborne, Ranger, with 24 years of active service. I will stand my ground if I'm in the right. If he backs down, then his rights will be lost. When you move to the country, you need to be prepared for country things to happen. Someone famous once said that if you give up freedom for safety, you deserve neither, or words to that effect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts