Front sight.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sins-of-Mosin, May 1, 2008.

1. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

I'll be going out to the range this weekend to zero in my m44 using the irons. For example, if my shots are going to the right, do I adjust my front | so it's more to the left or to the right?

Thanks folks. :feedback:

2. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

if ur aiming at target, and ur bullets are hitting to far to the right then u wanna keep sight on target and move barrel left....so sight moves right....in other words, if ur hitting too far to the right or left, then move ur sight so that u are aiming at the hole without moving gun any....can you picture what i'm saying? not even sure if i can atm :silly:

3. sh4d0ww4rri0r

sh4d0ww4rri0r Guest

I have difficulty with this concept as well. The key is as mike was saying is if it shoots left move the front sight left. If it shoots right move the front sight to the right. ALways follow the point of impact when drifting the front sight.

4. If your off to the right, adjust to the left. If your off to the left, adjust to the right.

If you high, adjust down, if your low, adjust high.

If you aim at the center, and it shoots high and right, adjust down and left and visa visa versa.
    That's what I was told.

5. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

with front site its easy to remember follow the point of impact !!just remember the other left ..LOL (as seen from behind the trigger )
    here is a site that will tell you more than you really want to know but is vey good ..
    Iron sight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

GM, that only works if you're adjusting your rear sight....and if ur rear sight has elevation AND windage....those sights are for fixed front post sights, like on shotguns and air rifles....the front sight is opposite, cuz u wanna have ur gun in a fixed position, then fire, then adjust front and rear sights so you're now aiming at the hole, all without moving rifle at all. it's confusing to think about i know :D

7. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

where's my donut fool!!!!!!!!

your new nickname will be DB which means Donut Bi**h

8. You are right, I stand corrected. lol It also works for sighting in a scope, as that's what I was sighting in when I was told that.

Guess if I wasn't more of a revolver/pistol shooter I might have already know that also though. lol

And seeing as how I'm Mosin-illiterate, I also learned the M44 has a windage adjustable front sight. And thanks for the heads up. What about the 91/30 and the M38? They have windage adjustable front sights also?

To make sure I have it right then, when you have windage adjustable front as well as rear, which should you adjust first then, the front or the rear?

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

ok, best way to explain this is as follows:

Legend:
    | is ur current sight position.
    O is the hole left by ur bullet.

if your | is on target and ur O is to the right, here's the solution. adjust ur | till it is on your O, this way your | is sighted in to your O. then move ur rifle till your | is on the bullseye of target, then your O will have moved with your | so your new O will be on bullseye....this is technically speaking, when you fire your rifle, make sure it is in a fixed position. if so, and it didnt move while firing, then you will only have to adjust ur sights once. hope that helped describe how it works. :D

10. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

mosins dont have windage adjustable rear sites Glock and all the mosins have the same basic front site adjustable left and right

11. Marion, ALL Mosin rear sights are only adjustable for elevation and then the front ALL are only adjustable for windage then? Have I got that right? Finally? lol

And after deciding to just do and image search and also check surplusrifles.com, it looks as if the Mosin front sights are similar to the SKS's, kind of, sort of?

12. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Wow Mike that even confused me:hitwithrock::hitwithrock: guys go look at the diagram in surpus rifle I posted .. its easier than IIIII OOOO ..
    III oooo IIIOOOO its off to shoot we go LOL

13. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

if u have windage adjustable front, you shouldnt have windage adjustable rear, only elevation rear, and with elevation, since the rear isnt a blank and is actually numbered, it has elevation adjustable front to 'zero in the rear' so that when u adjust the rear to 100meters, it doesnt shoot like it was 110meters instead....I always set rear to just the 100meter mark, then play with front elevation till i hit the horizontal line at the 100meter bullseye....and yes, almost all mosins have windage adjustable front sights....as far as i know.

14. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Correct glock , unless bubba got a hold of it yes there like SKS except not adjustable for elevation .. I simply slip a piece of wire insulation over the front post to get longer front post

15. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

wait wait wait....i just remembered my front sight is a lil different, my ORIGINAL front sight wasnt elevation adjustable, the new clampon one i got is....

16. Yea, I got that they, the front sights, were not elevation adjustable. PHEW. Finally. lol
    Thanks a heap Marion/Mike82.

17. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

but i only kept it on long enuff to shoot a box of 20 then removed and got to work on the scout scope project....my new setup is low and pro looking....it's deadly low, clearance between objective lens and upper stock is only 2mm, and clearance between rear lens and receiver is the same thickness as the paper that ur surplus ammo is wrapped in. :D that just looks sweeeet!!!!!

but yeah man, it's np....i finally got a time to use my brain for more than blowing gun powder off my donuts that marion got me.

18. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

LOL NP mike need any more just ask ( glad I wasnt drinking coffe when I opened that post )

19. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

why....would u look to see if u accidentally spilled any gunpowder in ur drink? lol :D