Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Israel began running low on WWII K98k Mausers, they contracted FN Belium to build the Short Rifle Model 1950 in the 7.62x51NATO chambering, with the Israeli crest on the receiver and the usual FN legends clearly in evidence. The rifle is in very good shape. I will provide photos and more details upon request. Please contact off this list, as [email protected] to get photos. Also other milsurp to offer. Will sell outright, or trade for one of the US '03 family, or a good shooter in 7x57mm, or what-have-you?
Steven

·
Registered
209 Posts
No offense to you, but these forum are classifieds free. The owner I am sure has good reasons as to not allowing classifieds. But, just as a warning, I would not recommend selling rifles and pistols through these forums. Don't want someone who could help us all out to get yelled at.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
A correction on your history of the Isreali FN.
These were bought in the 48/50 time frame, but are FN 30s. I'm not familiar with an FN 50? They were also in 7.92x57 = 8mm caliber. The Nato cal did Not exist in 1948-55. The 7.62 rifles were those rebarreled in the early 60s.
The Isrealis were buying rifles from who ever would sell to them in the late 40s. This included surplus WW 2 German rifles, New made K98ks from the Czechs & FN.
Sarge

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sarge wrote (snipped) : "I'm not familiar with an FN 50? "

As per Ball's book on the Mausers, the Czech post war 98k rifles, produced for Israel were originally in 7x57mm Mauser chambering and many were later converted to 7.62x51NATO by the Israelis, when the 8mm rifles became unserviceable due to shortages of wartime made 8mmMauser and the fact that NATO ammo was being given to Israel.
The FN produced Short Rifle, also cited by Ball, was produced in Beligium already chambered for the NATO cartridge, as that FN rifle came later than did the post-war Czech made rifles.
The Israel FN short rifle made in 7.62x51NATO, is a true K98k style rifle and not what we generally refer to as a Short Rifle (although that designation is what Ball uses). The FN M1950 Carbine, a true shortened 98k, was produced for Morocco. First in 30-06, the Moroccan carbine was later produced in 7.62x51NATO.
I did misspeak, as Sarge pointed out, in referring to the Israel FN as a Model 1950. It would more correctly be called and FN Model Karbiner 98k produced in the NATO chambering of 7.62x51mm in the 1950s.
Steve

·
Registered
691 Posts
In response to your "snipe:"
Question. IF the FN rifles sold to Isreal were originaly in Nato WHY are all those I've ever seen or heard of stamped 7.62 on top of the rec AND have Isreali marked and dated bbls in them??? Where are the factory original rifles??? Original Czech & WW 2 German rifles in 8mm with Isreali proofs exist, why don't FNs in Nato?
I presume you mistyped when you said that Ball - heard of, but Never seen his book - said the rifles sold were in 7 x 57mm, rather than 8 x 57.
Sarge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts