FTX bullets for a 44mag?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Browning, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I bought some .430 265 grain Hornady FTX bullets to use in my SBH 44mag. but when I went to look for load info on Hornady's website I found that they listed the 265 grain bullets for use in the 444 marlin and a 225 grain bullet for the 44mag.
    I'm wondering will the 265 grain bullets work for the 44mag? will they make for too long of a OAL?:dunno:

They say to use XTP reloading info for use of the FTX bullets. for 240 grain they list the XTP and a flatpoint bullet and a few others. For 265 grain they only list the flatpoint?:thinking:

2. Last edited: Sep 26, 2010

3. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Look at the load data for the 270gr Speer SP found on Hodgdon's website...
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
    I have read that maximum pressure loads generate enough heat at the barrel gap to melt/deform the polymer tips in the adjacent cylinders. Something you might want to watch for.

4. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have found that Hornady loads their factory ammo in shorter cases than standard length due to the tip on the bullet messing with the OAL. I measured them in their .357 leverevolution ammo and others have noticed the same on the 45-70. You might run into issues with the bullet not seating on the cannullear without being to long.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The 45/70 leverevolution is indeed shortened brass.