Full take-down. How important?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by roysclockgun, May 11, 2008.

1. roysclockgun

roysclockgun G&G Regular

I just got my FAL built on a DSA receiver. The rifle is accurate and much more fun to shoot than were the M14/M1A rifles that I have had.
    I have been out three times with the FAL, shooting 200 rds. each outing. I have not broken the piece down more than I need to in order to get the bore and chamber clean.
    How often should I do a full break-down in order to clean the gas system?
    Steve

2. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

I haven't had my FAL apart since the first time I shot it - of course I live in the dry climate of Colorado, which makes a great deal of difference from those in humid climates. All I do is run a patch thru the bore and visualy inspect what I can see of the bolt in both open & closed position.
    Since I haven't seen the inside of mine in 5 yrs, maby it's time I took a look - just for the hell of it. I shot it last weekend and have an MG demo shoot Sunday - I have a select fire rifle - so will do that little chore next week.
    Sarge

3. I carried a L1A1 for about 7 years and cleaned it thoroughly every time I shot it. That was the military way and it never let me down when needed. But on the other hand, if your life does not depend on it, clean it when you feel like it! It's your rifle!