close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fun day with the SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by SKS NOOB, Nov 8, 2014.

1. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Today was the last day of a men's conference at my church and we had organized a little gun range gathering after it was over. 5 came but one had to go back because the range didn't have the ammo for his gun (vintage revolver 32 caliber I think). Since now we can use steel at the range in Robbinsdale, I bought 4 boxes of wolf and let everybody take a turn shooting my SKS. It was fun watching their faces as they enjoyed shooting the rifle. I also enjoyed shooting with a couple of guys who were interesting in firearms as well being church brothers. 80 rounds down range with only one stovepipe and that was ammo related. Also, a compliment to the range that they seem to be nicer now and more helpful to the customers. It was truly a blessing to be there today.

2. I assume the range you went to was Bill's. I haven't been there in over a decade because of their asinine policies, and rudeness. From the few people I know who have been there in the last couple years it sounds like it's the SOS DD there still. Which really sucks with the lack of public ranges in the metro area.

It's nice to hear you were treated well there today. Perhaps being in a church group had something to do with that, but it likely had more to do with making an ammo sale. In the end all that really matters is you had a good time.

SKS NOOB likes this.

3. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

It was just 4 boxes of wolf 7.62x39 and 3 boxes (I think) of 9mm (1 PMC and 2 mag tech). They really didn't know we were all together until we said something. We pretty much all shared the ammo and the guns. OH! There is a new range in Rogers, but it's a little more expensive.

4. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    All the private ranges in my area that I have found so far are too restrictive and expensive for me. Things like no steel case ammo, no steel core, etc.. Some charge so much I'd just rather use the money to buy more guns, and could. Others require you do physical labor at the range, which I am unable to do, or mandatory meetings attendance as well as mandatory "volunteer" time.

I'm sticking with the public ranges. The most onerous restriction for me being that you can only put 3 rounds in the gun at a time. Don't like it, but I can shoot my Russian surplus ammo to my hearts content, and the annual range permit is only $30. Your permit also covers a guest you accompany.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Our only restrictions are:
    No shotguns.
    No full auto.
    No tracers or incindiary.
    No 'rapid fire'.

But with no RO's it's difficult to enforce. We are 'self policing' but that doesn't always work with young punks. I go very early and try to be done and gone before they arrive.
    I have no problem with a guy patterning a new shotgun or using steel bullets, just keep 'em in the berm!
    We have a lot of AK, SKS & Mosins. So a lot of steel bullets.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well, I belong to a private one here. It is only $100 a year. Beats the 10-20 bucks per at a public range.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  7. GSFixit

PA
    Public ranges in PA are $30 per year. The only thing you have to be careful about is the valid dates. The permit is good from July to June, regardless of when you purchase it. So, buy it in May, and you need to buy again July 1st.

What that $30 gets you is unlimited usage for you and a guest at any of PA's outdoor public ranges. Some have pistol areas, all have rifle areas, typically at 50 and 100 yards, but some go to 300 yards.

There are rules of course, but you can basically shoot what you want (except shot shells, tracers, incendiaries, explosives, fully automatic, etc..) for as long as you want as often as you want. You are restricted to paper targets, and to firing from the firing line only, but I don't have an issue with those rules.

Again, the worst restriction is the three round limit.

8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

My parents have been talking about selling the family farm. On the other hand, dad and I are opening up a gun shop (in addition to the online BP one we have now). I keep trying to tell him it doesn't make sense to sell our only range when we're going to have to start testing new and used toys.

I think our nearest range is defunct, the next nearest was public but has since been switched to police use only, and the nearest one beyond that is on the other end of Birmingham.

9. gandog56

Well the nice thing about private ranges is the idiots can be kicked out!

Big Dog, GSFixit and SKS NOOB like this.
  10. You can use my range if I can play with your toys...

Rules? I don't have no steenkin rules!

SKS NOOB likes this.
  11. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I'm glad I have my own range so I can make the rules!:p most of the ranges I have shot at were so anal about the rules that it took the fun out of going. I totally understand the need to be safe and aware of what you are doing when shooting but sometimes it gets carried to the extreme.:(

SKS NOOB and Tack Driver like this.
  12. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Once our house it paid off, we will be saving more to buy some property where I CAN practice shooting every once in a while as well as hunt and fish. That is a long way down the road though.

draftingmonkey and blaster like this.
  13. GSFixit

PA
    My son says he is going to set up a range on his property. Looks like he'll be seeing me more often...

14. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I would set up a range at my house, but I don't think the neighbors would like having the block walls shot out.

Verne

15. gandog56

From my last range trip I took my Yugo SKS.

[​IMG]

GSFixit, draftingmonkey and SKS NOOB like this.
  16. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I gave up my membership at a range because they were making rules to try to shut down the rifle range.(or it seamed so IMHO)
    They were a clay shooting range with a small rifle range on the side. They were complaining about the wooden backstops getting shot up in less than a month but didn't take into consideration that there membership went from around 200 to over 900 in less than three months.
    So I moved to a new club range that the only rules are no .50 BMG & no neck down cartridges on the pistol bays.
    Full auto is OK
    Bump-fire is OK
    Even responsible shooting of tannerite is OK
    I love this range.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  17. gandog56

Of course my aged eyes didn't fare to well on the iron sights. And I did not want to scope my SKS. So I tried a Williams Fire Sight set. Diopter rear and fiber optic pipe front really helped me out.

[​IMG]

fteter and SKS NOOB like this.
  18. fteter

fteter G&G Addict

Ganny, good to read your thoughts on the Williams Fire Sight kit. Been thinking about that for my own Chinese SKS. Good to know your thoughts...

19. gandog56

The target posted above is proof the Firesights work, too.

fteter likes this.
  20. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I put Fire Sights on my "sporterized" SKS. they work great.

SKS NOOB likes this.