Which is best?

• XDM

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • G21

Votes: 8 34.8%

G21 or XDM?

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  SasquatchSniper 
#1 ·
I plan on buying my first .45 sometime in December. I've narrowed my choices down to either a Glock or Springfield. I've heard great things about both of them and like the feel of both of them, unfortunately there is nowhere near me that I can go to test fire them. So I am looking for some advice from anyone that owns or has fired both of them

#4 ·
I feel that the grips on the Xd are way to long, even if your not going to carry it, and I aint no tinny Tim, im 5'17'' and 230 pounds

I also dont like how tall the slide on the Xd is, placing the barrel that high up in the gun makes the recoil more snappy and more likely to roll your wrist while firing

#5 ·
I personally don't care for the weird grip of the Glock. I've fired the G21 but have only held the XDM before. I prefer the XDM over the Glock.
I'm just the opposite.

I don't like the feel of the XD or XDM grips!

I have large hands (I can palm a basketball), and I LOVE the grip of the Glock 21. I own several of them, and one of them has over 20,000 rounds through it, without a single hiccup.

They are great guns that go "Bang" every time you pull the trigger. And if you use the right ammo, they are pretty accurate, too.:07:

#6 ·
Why not a Glock 30? If you're going to have only one .45 it might as well be a concealable one. I have two of them. Some have told me the G30 is the most accurate model of standard Glocks. Everything just fell together with the physics of that model.

I haven't shot the XDM but have two XD-45s (one full-size, one compact). The grip is nicer but the higher barrel does create a bit more muzzle lift than the Glocks. Don't think it's a deal breaker by any means but I do notice a difference. In the gun store I was convinced that the XD would be much more comfortable than the Glock due to the slimmer grip. But, in fact, the G30 (chunky grip not withstanding) has less muzzle rise and is nicer to shoot.

Can't go wrong with either I suppose. I guess the take-home message is to try to shoot them if you can...more than once.

Doc

#10 ·
Everyone will have their own opinion and a million reasons why. I choose XDm just because I have 4 Springfields and love them all. I have shot several Glocks and find them to be High Point quality at XD prices but that's just my opinion based on my experiences. Check the archives for a thread called "glock???" and read about Kelly's poor experience with Glock.

#12 ·
I have a G21 and an XD .45 Compact. Both are 100% reliable, and I love them both.

I have really small hands, but have no trouble with the larger G21. Neither gun is my CC piece (I'm a small guy), but I don't hesitate to use either one for a truck gun.

#14 ·
I was at the Range the other day with my buddy and He was shooting the 9mm Xd and the Glock 17 and The Glock fired flawlessly every time but the XD Jammed every 3 or 4 rounds.....My experience with Glocks is a good one and 2 of my buddies have Glock 22's and they have been praising them ever since the bought them . I dont own either gun personally but I frankly am a bigger fan of the Glock than the XD but like most of these fella's have stated before. Every gun Manufacturer has it "horror" stories and that in no way should dissuade you from buying one of there firearms. Everyone puts out a lemon once in a while. I think some people Knock Glocks just cause the dont wanna be on the Bandwagon... I am personally gonna buy a Glock 17 in the near future. Alot of that has to do with the way it feels in my hand.

#16 ·
I have several XDs, and an XDm40. I strongly suggest the XDm. The Glock is established, and has gone through several torture tests, but put an XDm up next to it and it will for sure meet that same strength. WIth regards to FTFs and jams with an XD... that must be anecdotal. Magazine or ammunition related. The same thing will happen with a Glock with the wrong ammunition or a busted mag. I much prefer XDs due to the fit and finish and the feel of them. Mags will be more expensive, but then there's also the fact that the out of box trigger feel will be much better than any Glock. It's really up to you though. I would buy an XDm

#17 · (Edited)
I just wish someone would do a similar torture test on a XDm, I would love to see if they can truly handle what that Glock did. FS, I do like what I've heard about the trigger and barrel on the XDm. I'm not sure how I feel about the grip safety, a part of me thinks its a good idea, but a part of me feels like it could turn out to be a bad thing at the wrong time for some reason.

#19 ·
I just wish someone would do a similar torture test on a XDm, I would love to see if they can truly handle what that Glock did. FS, I do like what I've heard about the trigger and barrel on the XDm. I'm not sure how I feel about the grip safety, a part of me thinks its a good idea, but a part of me feels like it could turn out to be a bad thing at the wrong time for some reason.
If someone buys me an XD or XDm for testing purposes, I will torture test it. I don't make enough money to torture test one of my own pistols. I know they'll function and that's good enough for me. The grip safety to me is an enhancement, but everyone has their own feelings about it. Some people feel that it is an added failure point and I understand that, but when you look at the design, it's not likely to ever fail. I really prefer the grip safety to a Glock style Safe Action Trigger only because I don't like the idea of nothing. Even my Tokarevs have a better safety than a Glock (Half Cock, I removed the stupid import safeties).

#22 ·
8500 of my own reloads. 1000 American Eagle Brass. Two FTFs (My reloads. I did not seat the primers correctly), both fired the second time. About 48 FTEs, probably due to me extremely downloading a batch of 50 rounds. I was seeing just how quiet and light I could do a load. After that one batch I've never had an FTE. I put 150 more rounds through it after the first batch at my standard load and they all fired and extracted just fine. I think the issue with the first 50 was that they were not powerful enough to fully cycle the slide.

#23 ·
^^That's through my XD40. Through the XDM I have about 1000 of my reloads, 100 factory WWB. No FTE, no FTF yet.

FYI guys, I shoot IPSC and IDPA matches. So I burn through a lot of ammo :-D

#26 ·
I had a G21 the grip was too large for my average hand size; I do not have an XDm but a Service XD with a manual safety... it is such a pleasure to shoot. The grip fits and the gun works! I love my Glocks mind you, my new G37 in .45GAP has eliminated the grip problem as it is the same as the G17/G22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.