close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G3

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WyrTwister, Apr 13, 2002.

1. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Can someone educate me a little on the current crop of G3 clones ? Stamped VS. cast receivers ? Different " brands " ( manurfacturers ) of receivers ?

Went to gunsandthings ( FAC ) web site for a look . From the description , could not really tell as much as I would like to know .

I am well aware or the hit and miss quality of Century assembled rifles .

Thanks
    Wyr
    WyrTwister@hotmail.com

God Bless

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

The aluminum receiver has a scope rail machined into it, while the steel ones require an expensive and debatably solid mount. That's the advantage of the aluminum receiver, as well as being less inclined to dent internally when hit on the outside with something. Some receivers are stainless steel. I think their main advantage is finish and corrosion resistance, though aluminum doesn't rust either. Aluminum receiver has the lowest price.

3. BattleRifleG3

Oh yeah, the amulinum receivers are either Springfield or Federal arms (FACs are Federal), which tend to be good. The stamped steel ones are either Special Weapons, Century, or Hesse. Hesse stinks, Century... you know about Century, SW is usually good, but not always.

4. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Springfield , as in SA , INC ? That makes the M1A ( which I own one , nice rifle , over priced ) ?

I gave seen some G3 clones that had the scope mount as part of the receiver . Ugly " krinkle " finish . Are these FAC ?

Who makes the SS rifles ?

Any functional problems withe the different varities ( Century ? ) ?

I have been thinking about building a FAL , to go with the one I have . What is the story and difficulty level in building a G# clone ?

Thanks ,
    Wyr
    God Bless

5. BattleRifleG3

Building a G3 is MUCH HARDER than building a FAL. Takes much more equipment and experience. I've concluded that I'll never build a G3. I have no personal experience with the SS G3 receivers. The G3 clones with scope rail in the receiver are probably FAC, but the latest Springfield SAR-8s have the same receiver.
    If you want to build something, do a FAL, but make sure you can do it (ask on the FAL forum). I prefer the G3, though I respect the FALs and would like to have one or have a friend with one some day.

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

That is what I thought , that building a G3 is not for me . Have a friend that has built a FAL or two & he has the barrel vice & action wrench .

Is SA , Inc. still making the SAR-8 ? How much ?

Thanks,
    Wyr
    God Bless

7. BattleRifleG3

I haven't seen them advertised, but I've seen them for sale. Prices I've seen are about $1k NIB, $7-800 used.

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Way more than I wish to spenf , I have no real " need " for another battle rifle , just do not have a G3 clone & you know .......

Wyr
    God Bless

9. BattleRifleG3

Those are only Springfield prices. The Federal Arms receiver models are fine, at least mine is. Dealer price is $395.
    Though if you have a FAL already, you have an equally competent rifle. A few tradeoffs, but just about as good overall.

10. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Is it as heavy as a FAL ?

Wyr
    God Bless

11. BattleRifleG3

I'd like a solid answer myself on that one. I thing the FAL may be more barrel heavy, but I'm not even sure about that. Roughly, I'd say about the same, but the FAL spreads it out more over a longer length. HK barrels are usually shorter than most FAL barrels. I'd really like to hold my HK clone next to a FAL.

12. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

The aluminum receivers are the bulky "crinkled finish" ones. They DO have a built-in scope rail. However, I don't like them from the aspect that there WILL be a dielectric reaction between the steel of your G3 parts kit and the aluminun of the receiver.
    Assembly of these kits is not an easy one, and you need to make sure that you use enough US made parts to make your "kit" legal. Usually this means all the fire-control parts have to be bought separately from your kit... I don't think that they are very expensive...
    As far as the Century guns, I haven't hear many good things about them unfortunately. I hear that they are "jamb" monsters...
    They are cheap, but if they don't function, they aren't worth it...

13. BattleRifleG3

Maybe mine is special, but it functins more relaibly than any thing I have, except my Mossberg 590. My Ruger 10/22 used to jam a lot, but with use and maintenance, the problem ironed itself out. Maybe such rifles will do the same. Ever figure out why it jams? The only jams I've had have been clearly the result of poor magazines. The aluminum ones have never failed me.
    I wouldn't try assembling one, though. Good point about the dielectric reaction... I'll have to investigate that more. I just took material science last semester.
    Personally, I'd never try to assemble an HK myself. MAYBE a FAL, but not an HK. That's for the pros with serious equipment.

14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

They would look much better if the AL receiver was smooth and black anodized , or whatever , like an AR .

What about the FAC rifles ? Are they assemblied by Century ? Are they OK .

I realize you have to do the USA parts count thing , same as a FAL . However , my Century FrankenFAL has a MB w/no bayo lug , and a thumb hole stock .

Does this change the classification ? Or did ir get through during a time period , between one ban and another ?

Wyr
    God Bless

15. BattleRifleG3

I think the FAC rifles are assembled by Century, mine is. But maybe there's some difference in quality control? I dunno. Yeah, I agree that an AR like finish would be much more attractive.

16. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Have you had any problems with your Century assembled FAC rifle ?

Wyr
    God Bless

17. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I may be wrong , but my understanding is the diaelectric corrosion will only rake place in the pressence of moisture ?

There are steel parts in contact with Al parts in a M16 / AR15 . Have not heard of a lot of corrosion ploblems .

For me , I live in a dry part of the world . Keep it clean and dry , and lubed . I may be wrong , but it would not scare me off .

Wyr
    God Bless

18. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

What would it take to remove the krinkle finish . Is it paint ?

I used to see re-finishing for AR's advertized in SGN ( before I let my subscription expire ) . Anyone know what this costs ? Would not be any more , I would think , for a HK clone AL receiver ?

At one time , I had a link to a web site that explained how to do anodizing .

Got it frome one of the AR lists . Seems like the chemical process formed a very hard layer of " oxide " that was also porus . The part was then mut in your favorite dye & the porus surface absorbed the dye .

Think some of the AR's also have a " teflon " coating . I wonder if that would be OK for an AL HK clone receiver ?

Wyr
    God Bless

19. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

Hey WyrTwister,
    You are correct when you say the dielectric reaction happens in the presence of moisture. I guess it may depend on where you live to determine how quickly this effect will take place. I live in Michigan (obviously) and we get extremely HIGH humidity in the summer, high enough that I personally feel that if you can avoid the mating of these 2 materials, it would be advisable. The part I worry about on the G3 assembly with aluminum receiver is that the mating surface between barrel & receiver is where this reaction will take place... On the G3 it's a press fit I believe...
    I can't imagine this is the BEST place to expect corrosion.
    As far as the AR15 parts, where the 2 metals meet is a threaded coupling right?
    I'm probably blowing this WAY out of proportion...

20. BattleRifleG3

Me, I've never had a problem with my FA-91. Only had problems with Western Crap Magazines. And the only ammo that's given me 1moa is Winchester Match.