close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gamo 440

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jaybo, Jun 8, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo G&G Newbie

I saw a Gamo 440 at the local gun shop the other day. It appears to be a nice piece. Has anyone had any experience with this air rifle?

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Gamo's are very good quality,I have 2 of their handgun pellet shooters. I don't know anything about their rifles but have heard their very nice. I was looking for a Gamo when I ran across a Crosman RM577 and said what the heck and got the Crosman, but if i ever run across a Gamo i will surely buy one.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2002

3. styckk

styckk G&G Newbie

Ca
    I have a Gamo 440 that I have grown to love. Initially the trigger was a bit stiff, it is adjustable but took me a while to get used to it. The buttpad on mine was very slippery and would not stay on my shoulder. I replaced pad and the gun shoots GREAT! I took it hunting and it is powerful. I have RWS model 45 that is a very well made air rifle, but the 440 has more velocity and is very accurate. I'm looking to buy the 880!

4. jaybo

jaybo G&G Newbie

I ended up with a Gamo Shadow Hunter, which is the same action, only in a synthetic stock. The price was right, too: $139 at Dick's Sporting Goods. It's turned out to be a very good choice. I also found the trigger to be a little stiff. The adjustment does not effect the stiffness and trigger pull, only the take up for the first stage. It does seem to be a little better after some use, but still seem to have some creep. I'm able to maintain a group of less than 3/8" at 50 feet with open sights (using a rest), and I'm not that great a shot!
    I live in a subdivision, but not within the city limits. We have been overrun with critters that want to burrow in the yard and under/near the house. A couple of neighbors have had tunnels dug under their driveways or porches that led to their sinking. We've started a concerted effort to correct the situation and I find the Shadow Hunter an effective way to dispatch the beasts. I don't hesitate to recommend the Gamos. Great gun for the price.

5. styckk

styckk G&G Newbie

Ca
    Gamo

They are very good guns! I have a 4x BSA scope on mine and one day I was shooting ground squirrlls, sqyurulll, squrrills, aw screw it! I was shooting critters, and on one shot I had crosshairs right on the eye of one and was simply amazed at what a flat target style pellet at a velocity of 1000 fps can do. I saw a huge ground hog emerging from hole in my garden(his timing was awful) I was outside with my then new toy. One shot and he fell as if poleaxed. I have used other air rifles but I rather take the Gamo hunting.

6. I have shot thousands of pellets of all types through my Gamo 440. I have found it to be extremely accurate with both a scope or with the factory iron sights. I have used it to shoot chipmunks and other pests around the house. It is a finely crafted air gun, came with a beautiful piece of wood for a Monte Carlo type stock and has always worked reliably. Very easy to cock. My favorite targets are the little metallic silhouettes made for airguns like IHMSA uses.
    My one gripe: I have a chronograph and never got near the 1000 fps muzzle velocity Gamo claims it gets, not even with the new p.b.a. pellets. Replacing the seal at the chamber end made no significant difference. Best MV I got was 750 fps.
    It's a really nice gun for the price but I think my next air rifle will be of a different brand.

7. mike63

mike63 G&G Addict

I've got the 220 hunter, its basically the same gun. As others have said the trigger can be stiff, but after break in they are truly great rifles, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

8. binfordw

binfordw G&G Newbie

IMO,

The low cost Gamos, (less than $150) would be fine if you are curious about airguns. You might look into some of the Chinese clones (BAM's, etc) They can be quite good I hear, and the prices are low due to the lack of advertisments and no brandname.

I would highly suggest avoiding any of the higher priced "top end" Gamo models. Once you hit into the $300 pricetags, you in the range of some actual quality german airguns.

Gamo's make a decent introduction into the hobby of airguns, but thats about it. You have to keep your expectations realistic however- a $200 Gamo is not really a great representation of what precision airguns have to offer. I think that unfortunetely deterr's some people from really getting into the sport. They buy a $200 Gamo, thinking its the "holy grail" of airguns, and are dissapointed with its construction quality and performance.

9. German or British....

Some nice names still making air weapons over here; BSA, Webley et al...

My Webley Vulcan bunny gun is 25 years old and still excellent. British air guns are built like the proverbial brick outhouse....

10. your right i like the webley long bow and stingray i read somewhere they are out sourcing some of their rifles do you have any info on that.

11. binfordw

binfordw G&G Newbie

Webley's are now made in Turkey.

12. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

13. logan

logan G&G Newbie