Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have assembled my garand without getting the operating rod and bolt properly together , as a result the rifle is now together without the bolt even in it , I cant get it in there correctly with out taking it apart but I cant pull the trigger assembly out .
What do I need to do to trick it into thinking the bolt is closed so I can get the trigger assembly out so I can get it back out of the stock ?

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Bolt position has nothing to do with the trigger mechanism coming out. Pull harder on the trigger bow using a screwdriver thru the TG. When it's apart, put the recoil spring in after you have the bolt and oprod mated correctly.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I agree with M14man... try standing the rifle on the butt, pull the rear of the trigger guard down toward the butt and out..There is just a small catch lip holding it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Heres another way to remove the trigger guard. Run a rag through it and pull down and away. That way you don't have to worry about scratching the metal or wood with a screwdriver. Its also good incase you need to remove the trigger assembly and you left your screwdriver at home

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's a great link showing how to put all the little stuff inside the trigger assembly back together: (I had to pause it three times with mine!)
[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=wnjxnwCRz5k]YouTube - M-1 Garand Field Strip[/ame]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I found a good trigger guard puller. It's a tent stake puller. At the local outdoor sports stores you'll find next to the tent stakes and mallets you might find an aluminum bent rod with red pull handle. It stands maybe 5" tall. Doen't take up much room in shooting box.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Use a cartridge. That's the only tool required. Some trigger guards can be extremely tight, but a cartridge is all you need.
"...trick it into thinking the bolt is closed..." Nope. The action needs to be open with the hammer back to field strip it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts