Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my just received Garand to the range and I have a problem. The first four rounds fire fine but on the forth round the clip and the last four rounds hang up in front of the bolt. I only fired 12 rounds using two different clips. Any ideas? It's a Springfield M-1 and just love the big bang and the familar kick.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Hi Tucson welcome to G&G. Did you take your Garand apart and clean and oil/grease it?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Ditto on the clip latch spring. Take it out, stretch it just a tiny bit, reinstall. See if that helps some. Order another new one. Might as well replace the op rod spring too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I wiil get on it. I checked and can see some grease where their shouldn't be any. I have about 20 clips so next time at the range I will try the others.

·
Registered
224 Posts
M1 Garand Grease Points, et.al.

Tucson:

I'll second the motion on the clip latch/clip latch spring and the clips.

Here's a pic of where to grease the M1:

======
You can use just about any good-quality grease, although the "classic" is "Lubriplate." I've personally used that, gun shop generic gun grease, and auto store hi-temp bearing grease. The principal is oil protects; grease lubricates.

You'll know the rifle is properly greased if the empty casings are ejected at 1:00 - 2:00 o'clock relative to the line of fire.

You might want to check the operating rod spring as well, "just in case."

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Cant judge if a Garand is properly lubed by the ejection pattern. There are to many other variables. Some rifles wont eject 1 -2 oclock pattern no matter what. I should know as several of mine dont even properly lubed with replaced parts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Welcome Tucson
Hang around a while, pull up a chair.
Love the Garands.

Tell us more about where the Garand came from. CMP or other source?

·
Registered
589 Posts
more than likely it's the clip itself I have the same problem. I checked my clip latch and the clip latch spring and it looked fine my rifle is so well lubed that my baby sister could run the action and it would still fire 3-4 rounds and then eject the clip spewing live ammo all over the firing line. I had a gunsmith look at it to see if I was missing something. all he said was mark the clips that did it and then take it on from there. so to reiterate check the clip latch for any rounding if there is none mark the clips that do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't been to the range yet but I manualy ran the rounds through and all works well. I have numbered most of my clips and I always take a note book to the range to list problems. Thanks much for all your help. Before going into the Army in 1959 I had an 03 Springfield this caused a problem when on the range with the Garand. After each round was fired I would reach up and yank the bolt back ejecting a live round. My problem was solved when an NCO was assigned to wack my hand every time I reached for the bolt. In 59 this was called training not abuse.
Thanks Tucson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts