Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I have been around M1 Garand collecting for over 30 years. I started back in the days of $99 M1's under the old DCM. I just want to ask you guys why, in about the past 5 years, there has been such a massive increase in not only collecting the M1 Garand, but all US military firearms, mostly WW 2 rifles, Carbines and sidearms. Basically, what got you interested in this field of collecting?

www.garandm1rifle.com
Thanks again
Clancy
Looking for Sponsors or Donations soon
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

·
Registered
886 Posts
eclancy - My interest in the M1 Garand came about when I first fired one way back in the late 1940's, so it is not a recent phenomenon, for me. Then when I joined the USMC, I got to enjoy the company of my M1 Garand on a daily basis.

When I bought my first one from the DCM you could get only one in a lifetime. Since I couldn't easily get another M1 Garand, I sort of changed direction, and was able to acquire a few other US Military rifles, because of their low prices, and availability.

My second M1 Garand was from someone who needed the money badly. and I could afford it. When the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship Program) was changed to the CMP (Director of Civilian Marksmanship Program, and they opened it up to essentially the unlimited purchase of M1 Garands, I was not in a financial position to purchase any, until very recently.

The only reason I don't have several thousand of them, is that I can't afford several thousand of them.

I really don't remember the Serial Number of the M1 Garand I carried in the first tour, but I do know the Serial number of the one I carried during my second tour in the Marines, I really would like to have the opportunity to buy it, and I have had several people looking for it, with no luck so far.

`

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I would have loved to pick up a few DCMs for $99 :)

I would have to say the history of the firearm and the important role that it played during the second world war. The amount of firepower and reliability that the firearm offered just interests me.

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
It's my fault

Well, I have to confess. It was five years ago that I started buying guns, so if the craze started then, I'm responsible for it.
I guess I should have given you other guys some warning, but I wasn't thinking. I'd lived in a gun-free house for so long (at least fifteen years), and it had been so long since my one and only prior purchase (30 years), I guess I just got carried away.
I should have known it was going to happen. After all, when I go stand in a line at the Publix checkout, it stops moving. A trend setter? You be the judge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts