Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the Greek return rifles , It shoots decent scores considering Who is behind the trigger .
It functioned perfect with the little bit of greek ammo I had or my handloads , I have a full case of Lake city 69 and no matter witch(i have 10-12) endblock i use it will not strip the first few rounds consitantly but about the last 5 will work fine .
I have replaced the op rod spring with no change in performance , The gun is clean and properly lubricated after each use. It has been suggested i try taking a couple of coils off the op rod spring .
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rifle fires a round and cycles but does not pickup the next round , it closes and all appears to be fine . You pull the trigger and all you get is the click

·
Registered
395 Posts
Seems you've got a problem with the weight of the fully loaded clip.

I would suggest to inspect all the parts that work on the feeding of the cartridges.
Dirt, sliver of metal????
Put in some grease ( do it with a little brush, that way you don't put to much in there) in the receiver legs to see if this will work.

Rob

·
Registered
432 Posts
First check your gas cylinder screw, right underneath the muzzle. Is it nice and tight? If so, remove it, and thoroughly clean the threads. While you're at it, look into the gas cylinder. Is it clean?

If not, field strip the rifle. Make sure the op rod head is clean and serviceable--no big nicks, not corroded, no powder buildup. If there is baked on carbon, use a good solvent ONLY to clean it off. No abrasives, no scraping, no power tools.

Remove the gas cylinder assembly and lock by unscrewing the figure-8 that encircles the muzzle. Remove the gas cylinder assembly, and check out the gas port. There is a tool that is GI issue for ensuring that the gas port is clean--look into getting one of those, available from CMP Home.

Reassemble the rifle--there should be NO lube inside the gas cylinder, and a very light coat of oil on the op rod itself--none on the gas piston.

Try test firing again. It sounds like the friction on the bottom of the bolt from the full clip is inducing short stroking. When the friction lessens--less rounds in the rifle--it functions normally.

A light coat of grease on the locking lugs of the bolt will help, too.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
When we had a problem like this the gas piston was undersized when you check out your gas works check the end of the piston. you can get replacements in reg and oversize if thats the problem.(in shotgun news)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Could his gas cylinder be out of spec? It could be worn/too big and allowing gas to blow by the op rod.

Stock Doc, didn't this happen to one of your really good friends?

·
Registered
589 Posts
mine is startin to act weird. I fire a couple of rounds and then the entire magazine is ejected. I'm gonna be orderin a new set of springs shortly but I dunno what else could be doin it. any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Take the most obvious test first

Check the cartridge holder as they were a stamped
metal product not really designed for the long haul. In fact, when in combat they only had to deliver eight cartridges then be ejected and forgotten.

I know you may not have thought about this
(understandable) but I have had the experience of one losing proper tension.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Check the cartridge holder as they were a stamped
metal product not really designed for the long haul. In fact, when in combat they only had to deliver eight cartridges then be ejected and forgotten.

I know you may not have thought about this
(understandable) but I have had the experience of one losing proper tension.
You should have informed the military of your great discovery.They sent them into freezing Europe and hot as he** pacific and never realised this and sent them into Korea. sam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts