Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday again, I've seen these on Ebay, adjustable gas plugs for the M1.They are meant to act as a bit of a safety device when reloading ammo for the M1 in case excessive pressures are caused. Has anyone used these? If so how would you rate them?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
They are used so you can shoot commercial ammo that have excessive pressure that can damage the Op Rod. If you are reloading you shouldn't need to worry about it if you are using the correct powder. Don't know about the ones on E-Bay. What brand are they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What make? Not sure, I only looked as far as "ships to US only" which was a bit of a pain. I only ask as obviously there aren't the availability of these sorts of parts down here. In fact if you want any parts locally, someone has to be breaking a Garand down.
We also don't have the powder that is best for reloading, 4895 I believe.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
there are at least a dozen or more powders that are well suited for use in the garand. i would find a good suitable powder before i started messing with the gas plug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on Fulton Armoury. I couldn't find it on their webb site, do they ship internationally?
Re messing with the gas plug, if its a good idea (the adjustable gas plug) what does it matter? My question is still how do they rate? I also shoot an L1A1 SLR( English version of FNFAL) so adjusting gas exhaust to atmoshere is not a foreign concept to me. However if the system (adjustable gas plug) is crap in practice I would obviously not consider it to be an option.
Thanks .

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
On the left hand side of the page click on "Garands" then on "parts and assec" then scrool down the page till you see it. Don't know if they ship internationally you will have to look that up yourself. Yes the plugs do work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Messing with the gasplug can damage your oprod, not to mention the receiver, if you put the wrong powder in the brass and have a wrong setting on the gasplug.
The most gasplugs on Garands these days have the puppetvalve so gas overpressure is already going out. These were introduced for use with the riflegranadelaunchers!

Rob

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
M1D-GARAND with all due respect they are two completly different animals. The plugs he is asking about are made so you can shoot commercial ammo. The poppet valve you are talking about only works with the grenade launcher mounted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Adjustable Gas Plugs for Garand...

These are available from Brownell's; this info was lifted from the Brownell's website on January 2nd. According to the printed catalog, Brownell will ship to overseas addresses, but you'd have to contact them for specific procedures.

M1 GARAND ADJUSTABLE GAS SYSTEMS

from:Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

===============================

Mfr: MC CANN INDUSTRIES

Reduces Action Battering & Wear

Five interchangeable gas jet screws to apply just the right amount of gas to work the action. Softens the recoil impulse, gives a slower cycle time that reduces wear and battering on op rod, bolt cam, trigger group and receiver. Lets you control case ejection velocity, plus prevents dented case necks. Just remove the gas jet screw for conversion to manually cycled, single shot function.

SPECS: Steel, blue, matte finish.
Replaces existing gas nut
with no modifications to rifle.

Stock Number Desc Price
100-000-402 Adjustable Gas System $40.00

Mfr: SCHUSTER

Saves Wear On Bolt Lugs & Softens Blow On Op Rod

Vented steel design changes cycle time by letting you adjust the gas volume in the cylinder. Quick adjustment of vent size with integral set-screw; eliminates changing screws for different vent sizes. Reduces battering on op rod, bolt lugs,
receiver and trigger group. Available for M1 Garand and M1A rifles.

SPECS: Steel, parkerized finish.
Replaces existing gas nut
with no modifications to the rifle.
Includes adjustment tool
and instructions.

Stock Number Desc Price
100-001-733 M1 Adjustable Gas System $29.95

I've not tried either of these -- or anything like 'em, for that matter -- but from the comments I've seen on various M1 (Garand) forums, the general opinion seems to be that one either swears by 'em or swears at 'em!

Hope this helps.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou one and all. I might just have a go with one of these things and see for myself if it does infact live up to my exspectations. Even if it stops my cases getting flung from 2 right through to 6 oclock and out to three meters that would be a start.
Can't wait till I think of my next burning question to ask.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@ Orlando

I know ANZAC was talking about the adjustable gasplugs but I just stated that most Garands have the poppetvalve and they are already releasing a part of the pressure that's all:burnout:

Rob

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As stated in my other post poppet valves are of no use as far as releasing pressure unless a grenade launcher is attached. If you look at a grenande launcher there is a little stud that goes into the poppet valve and opens it . Thus releiving pressure. Without the launcher mounted it does nothing. May as well be a solid plug,

·
Registered
395 Posts
@ Orlando

You're right. I never had the pleasure to hold a grenade launcher in my hands so all I have to work with is a picture. I missed that stud:sad2:

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts