Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Upon firing the Garand today. I had a few instances where eject and feed was ok, but the weapon strangey seemed not to cock. I cycled the op rod, ejecting the chambered round (live) let it go to strip a fresh one and was back to bang again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, but the weapon went to the range clean, lubed and serviceable. Properly lubed with grease as a Garand should be. Feed and eject was flawless. The trigger group has no residue, grit, grime or other nasty stuff. Just lost it's hammer cock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Garand not cocking...

Moss...

It's hard to tell without actually having the rifle in hand, but here are a couple of thoughts for you:

1. You may be confronted with a classic "short stroke," which can act as you described. There are several causes, but I'd bet that the operating rod spring is weak, overcompressed, or even -- gasp! -- broken. Cure: replace the spring. You can get a very good one at Orion 7: Orion 7 Enterprises Inc.

2. It is possible that the hammer/trigger/sear hooks are worn excessively, and are intermittantly failing to function properly. Short of getting the rifle to a good Garand 'smith, Clint McKee at Fulton Armory has published a book about maintaining -- actually, building -- the M1 Garand. You can find the book at this site: Fulton Armory: FAR-15 Stuff, Garand Stuff, and More!

Hope this is of some help.

Ben Hartley

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Ben has good advice above. I had this last month at the range and changed the gas cylinder. It fixed the problem right away. Having it to tight or to loose also can cause it if the gas hole is off between the barrel and cylinder.

I carry extra parts with me when ever testing a new Garand. Darn thing would fire 5 rounds then I would have to pull the bolt back for the next round. It would fire 2 then same. Then all 8 rounds fired and next time I had to pull handle back on 2nd round. Sometimes the round would eject and others it was still in the chamber. Good luck. Rick B

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the timely responses. It looks like I have a project of love ahead of me. It may take a while, but I'll try to post the results if any.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts