close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Garand problem

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by Cudamank, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Rencently I pulled out my M1 prior to what I had hopped was going to be a day at the range. After pulling out the trigger assembly, and barrel/reciever assembly, I noticed...that the barrel was loose, yes loose on the reciever. Knowing this isnt a good sign, I though I would see if anyone else has had this problem. Meanwhile waiting until I can make it to my gunsmith to take a look at it.

2. DocCombat

DocCombat G&G Newbie

FBNC
    No cant say that I have. And have never heard of this problem happening before. Is this rifle a military M-1 or a civilian reproduction? Who is the producer of the reciver and the barrel. And lot#s Mabe you have civilian and military parts that dont jive well cause of tolerance differances, or mabe you just got a barrel that wasent seated correctly. But none of my TM's or FM's mention this as a problem or mention solutions in troubleshooting.

3. more info

Not sure on the barrel maker, it is a CAI M1, which until now has fired over 200 rnds without so much as a hickup. When I get home ill post reciever number, and any barrel markings. Thanks for your reply.

4. Do NOT even mess around, send the rifle back to CAI. This is their problem. I would take pics of the rifle for back up. They sold it to you, they should fix it at no cost. Once they do, sell it. CAI are nothing but problems and get a Springfield.

Ltcboy

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

My CAI works fine.

6. Its not normal for a barrel to become loose on a rifle considering that the owner didn't tamper with it. This could have caused a serious injury and I would be pissed off. This isnt the firs time that I have heard about problems with the CAI Garands.

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Me either, but not all of them have problems,I have heard of quite a few that work just fine.

8. How long have you had your CAI and how often do you shoot it?

9. I bought mine in October last year, shoot twice a month usually around 64 rnds each time out. No problems till now. Bought it through Big 5, a sporting goods chain out here in calif.

10. wes

wes G&G Newbie

About a year,at least 200 rds. a month. Never had a FTF or FTE. Had two mis-fires,most likely due to yugo ammo. I have fired over 4000 rds. in the last year but some of that was through a 1917 enfield. Look, I'm not going to get into this p***ing contest.

11. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Wes you are being a ***** and I hope you can stand back and see it. This guy has a honest problem and you are telling him you dont have a problem with yours. This is a bit to much and please help the guy not start a pissing match as you are and no one else is. The gun has a problem and you should be helping him with advice not cranking about a hair in you're butt. This is not what people want to see here.
    I hope Cudamank takes it back and got it fix? But in reality you should never buy another CAI as you could be seriously injured down the road and some have. CAI has no respect for the owners, only to line ther pockets selling worn out rifles. I did my homework on this subject and need no more help on there record with Garands.
    Rick B

Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  12. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Have fun guy's. Cuda,if you want some real help email me. I'm outta here.

13. Wes--

I hope youre not going to stop posting. I think that you have good advice to contribute to this forum and I, among others, have learned from some of your advice. However, I think you do have to admit that you would be extremly pissed off if YOU were in this guys shoes. Maybe you have had good luck with your CAI, others havent. This isnt more than an inconvenience, this is a serious compromise to this guys saftey. There was either a flaw or on overlook in the quality control in CAI's production. THIS cannot be accepted. I think that is why Stock Doc posted what he said. I would seriously shitcan the CAI if this happended to me. And as far as a pissing contest goes, youre the one who mentioned anything about one. This forum is supposed to be for enjoyment, learning, sharing of info, and just general fun for a group of guys who enjoy the M-1 Garand. Lets not turn this into a bullshit political forum like CSP.

Ltcboy

Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  14. Thank you all for input. I liked the way my garand shot and didnt have any trouble till this happened. But as they said in top gun,"That was the best flying I ever saw........till you got shot down." I will see what my gunsmith says, if it checks out okay will keep it, but cant wait to get on from CMP. I have a 63' International pickup, and think an IHC Garand to carry in the back window would be perfect. LOL. Take care guys,

15. I would contact Century first. There realy is no excuse for a barrel to be loose in the receiver. I would be very surprised if they don't help you out. I have a CAI gun and it shoots fine....I did however check my barrel after hearing your story. Whatever is done to "fix" your problem, please be sure to check headspace before firing.
    Gary