Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some input on. I just recently saw a Garand that I had the shop owner put up for me (sort of like a law way) any way it’s a done deal. I found out (not knowing much about them and being just plain stupid) that CAI made the gun. I don’t know if all parts are new or what but the barrel and receiver and stuff were. Well, I found out with research that I had made a mistake but like I said, it’s a done deal. So here is my question. I’m having a garand gun smith to put a original SA receiver on it along with a brand new Criterion barrel in 30-06 and he is going to replace anything else that doesn’t look good.....Should this be a fairly good gun?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have kind of a similar question; Has anyone here ordered a gun from the Civilian Marksmanship Program? Cause supposedly that have good deals, but I'm concerned about the quality that I'd get since they're WWII surplus rifles.

Sorry banjar, I'm not trying to hijack your thread; just curious.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Well, CMP is pretty much tapped out on the Garands. They will have some in October with new production barrels and stock. At any rate, you'd better hurry.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Its actually a guy by the name of Tony Giacobbe who has the website garand guy, any knowledge of him?
I heard this guy knows what he's doing!
But that's only from telling! Sorry no personal experience!

Rob

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
You should be pleased with Tony's work. He has been messing with Garands for a long time. I'll send you my address so you can send me the old receiver and barrel. I'll find something to do with it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
WWII production Garands, carbines, and all government-produced '03s were the best quality available when they were made. Their production quality was as good as any firearm ever made, anywhere. If you get one that is not badly worn, you will not be unhappy.

There are issues with worn components you may have to deal with. CMP will fix anything that makes the guns unserviceable. My experience with this has been great.

·
Registered
767 Posts
take a 30-06 round with you and place the bullet end in the barrel end...if it easily slides all the way in..up to the shell case...forget it..the barrel is shot out. the bullet should only go in all but 1/4" or so.

cmp rifles ARE THE BEST...I have one that was a greek return (I put a new boyds stock on) that was deadly accurate (it was made in 1954 and saw very little duty). cmp is out, but will have some more starting in october (hey are also jacking up the price)...or you can buy a new one from springfield armory fro around $1,400.

here is mine after a little touching up!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That's a sweet looking rifle there Ruger22.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@Ruger 22
Nice looking rifle you got there!!!
Did you oil the stock or....

Rob

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
WWII production Garands, carbines, and all government-produced '03s were the best quality available when they were made. Their production quality was as good as any firearm ever made, anywhere. If you get one that is not badly worn, you will not be unhappy.
There are issues with worn components you may have to deal with. CMP will fix anything that makes the guns unserviceable. My experience with this has been great.

Um, they were made in a time of war. They were of a quality good enough to be sent out with the troops. They had quotas. We needed guns. I would offer that post-war Garands were of better quality. Less rush, more attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Um, they were made in a time of war. They were of a quality good enough to be sent out with the troops. They had quotas. We needed guns. I would offer that post-war Garands were of better quality. Less rush, more attention to detail.
same with enfields.
my 1955 is much nicer than my 1944

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
It's hard to believe that is the same rifle, Ruger22. Great job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts