Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
The above title says just about all but read into it. Here's how the US Navy saved the M1 Garand, Project 5, at SA.
Try to put in some info/question and we can learn more of the M1's History Without input from you guys no one learns
Some of these files have been seen before

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/case1aa.jpg

Thanks again
Clancy
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

·
Banned
259 Posts
Well and good. The Navy guaranteed, at least themselves, a supply of Garands for service use, which probably brought wide acclaim and favorable comments for the new Garands after use. Were these, by any chance, the .308 short "Navy Garands" we have heard of? Or was the .308 a later cartridge of the '50s?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, BFranklin...

Re: "Were these, by any chance, the .308 short 'Navy Garands' we have heard of? Or was the .308 a later cartridge of the '50s?"

The latter.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen,
The funds that the US NAVY paid for was the M1 Garand Rifle in 30.06. That money was to help in production of the NEW M1 Garand Rifle. None had been built yet. They had 80 built in the toolroom at SA for testing in the field.
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Thank God for the resourceful folks in government that found a way around the bureaucrats and actually accomplish something! 200 rifles per day...wow. I'd loved to have had seen that facility in action!

I love these posts, Eclancy. THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts