Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore my M1 down today to refinish the stock. Marveled at the wonderous simplicity of it. How everything works like a fine symphony of co-ordination and interplay of all the parts. Absolute genius. How finely tuned Mr. Garand had to make everything to utilize the huge power of the .30'06 cartridge into such purity of motion. How delicate the small parts seem. It's almost magical.
It's also quite amazing how well it worked even though mine has a 3 piece op-rod spring!!! Wonder if that is why I never got the "Garand thumb"? (Yet!) Probably will get to experience that after my new spring gets put in. Can't hardly wait! (Nyuk!)

:werd::burnout:

·
Registered
234 Posts
hey B when you get your new spring make sure its the right length. I got mine from Wolf gunsprings , and had to cut almost an inch off. gunsmith told me spring should be 20 and 1/4 inches long.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Stay away from Wolf springs in general. They can cause more problems than help. Get springs from Orion 7 thats what most people use with no problems. Whenever I buy a Garand the first thing I do is swap out the Op Rod spring

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Heres info from Orion 7 springs
M1 Rifle Operating Rod Springs We went back to the original Springfield Armory drawings to duplicate the original spring with one exception. Our new springs are manufactured from the highest quality 17-7 STAINLESS STEEL wire available in the industry. Superior over the standard carbon wire springs made during the war years. We now can offer what we believe is the finest main spring ever made for the M1 Rifle! These springs are manufactured exclusively for Orion 7 Enterprises Inc. right here in the USA on state of the art machinery and using the finest quality wire on the market. Samples were tested and the computer projected continuous cycle readings recorded were off the scale! We are so confident that you will agree with us that these are the best M1 rifle main springs made, we will offer you a free replacement guarantee* if our spring ever rusts, fails or wears out. No questions asked! 8.00 each 2/15.00. Gunsmiths, gun shops, gun show dealers, and M1 hobbyists, please call for your special pricing on this item in larger quantities. Also see our M1 Parts Page

·
Registered
997 Posts
. Marveled at the wonderous simplicity of it. How everything works like a fine symphony of co-ordination and interplay of all the parts. Absolute genius. How finely tuned Mr. Garand had to make everything to utilize the huge power of the .30'06 cartridge into such purity of motion. How delicate the small parts seem. It's almost magical.
My feeling too when I dissasembled mine for the 1st time. I was also quite impressed.

Imagine what it was like for those fighting in WWII when the weapon was new.

Orlando thanks for the link I had never seen them before and will be ordering some stuff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
after trimming my spring down to propersize it worked just fine , fired about 200 rounds without problems, still not crazy about the tiawanes ammo, dont think I'll be ordering that again..

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New spring, must be the same Orion 17-7 Stainless, Went right in and, cautionsly loading, the bolt STILL stayed back! I'm just tickled s---less. This Garand, while not brand new, is definitely a keeper. I redid the stock and, while amatuerish, looks lots better. Even detailed the stock metal and gas tube in high heat black semi-gloss (over the parkerizing to keep the protective value of it) and looks great. Don't have one of them fancy cameras or pix would be on. New spring works perfectly, too. Magnificent rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
My Garand got it's annual tear down, clean, inspect and lube today. It IS a marvelous piece of engineering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts