Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a competitive shooter is there anyway I could get the trigger pull on the garand down to like the 2-3 lbs margine? what is the normal trigger pull? plz I need help with this lol :stooges:

·
Registered
997 Posts
The NRA had a book strictly about the M1 Garand with loads, trigger work, etcetera...basically how to keep it in the black in competition. Here's a link to the book:
NRAStore.com - Product Detail
The price is very cheap! I used the book for a couple of quick fixes they recommended. The book is designed for a guy receiving his 1st M1 Garand through CMP/DMC and wanting to get it into competition.
It's worth it just for the tear down schematics.
I assume your shooting CMP/DCM competition in the Twin Cities area? Who you shooting with? I use to shoot against NorthWest Airlines Club at a 300 yard range I believe was called the Minnetonka Rod and Gun.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
NM M1 triggers are set to 4.5#s. you do not want to go any lighter, for reliability/safety issues. 5.5-7# trigger pulls are fairly normal.

·
Registered
224 Posts
M1 Garand Trigger Pull

According to TM9-1275, Ordnance Maintenance U. S. Rifles, Cal. .30: M1C's and M1D's go 4.5# to 6.5#, and the standard for issue rifles is the range 5.5# to 7.5#. From what I've read, anything less than these increases the liklihood of doubling, misfires, and possibly out-of-battery discharge. Also, IIRC, National Match M1 rifles may be set to the lower -- 4.5# -- trigger pull.

I'd also be very careful that the trigger pull on my rifle met the match rules, whether NRA or CMP. I think the NRA "Service Rifle" matches allow the 4.5# "National Match" standard, but the CMP "John C. Garand" matches must be fired with "off the rack" rifles, and the trigger pull may not be less than "as issued."

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I do not shoot CMP/DMC matches I wish I did though its primarily local 22 matches here in Grand Rapids but yeah I will definatly check out that book. Thanks a bunch. Oh nother question afre there specific tools i need to adjust it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I got my first M1 garand just last night and was amazed at how nice the trigger was straight out of the CMP box....I'd guess around 3.5 poounds...light enough for me!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
put a scale on it. if it is 3.5#'s there is something wrong with it. it is a 2 stage trigger, and will feel lighter than it actually is.

·
Registered
767 Posts
put a scale on it. if it is 3.5#'s there is something wrong with it. it is a 2 stage trigger, and will feel lighter than it actually is.
3 pounds 9 oz. over 10 pull average with a very sweet 2-stage feel...tested on a leaman digital trigger scale.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I'd say about 4.0 lbs for general shooting, and comp, good break

1 - 11 of 11 Posts