Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a foto of a Garand that was transformed during the 50´s by the Dutch Armory.

The mag is a AR-10 mag (I believe this was the pre-decessor of the AR-15/M16)

Like to hear what you think of this!

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not a BM-59.

The Dutch experimented with modifyig the M1 using AR-10 and BAR mags.

The first steps US Army Ordnance took on the way to the M14 was a modified M1, using BAR mags.

A gunsmith of my acquaintance modified an M1 to take BAR mags. It works, sometimes. The Army found out the same thing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The story continues:

The Dutch Armory build (at least) 2 Garands with Mag.
At that same moment Beretta was doing the same (became the BM-59) There was a short contact between those two but Beretta was very reluctant to work together on this project.
That's why the Dutch Armory only build 2 or 3.
Why did they use those AR-10 mag's???
Simply because they had them handy!

There are a lot of changes to be made before this rifle is able to fire anyway.
See Photo's

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I assume that the use of an AR10 mag was for a 308 conversion and a BAR mag for a 30.06, does that sound right?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I would think so, though there have been BARs made in 308.

The issue is one I've run into in design. The BAR has a tilt locking bolt, like a FAL, and has full length feed lips, also like a FAL. The way they're designed, you can't cut away the front of the mag and still have working feed lips.

Guns with a rotating bolt that don't place the bolt head and receiver lugs entirely in front of the mag require the mag to be open in the front, like an AK mag. The M1 and AK have surprisingly similar bolt locking systems. Neither are capable of using anything with full length feed lips.

The reason you would want a mag under the bolt lugs is to reduce action length. A tilt bolt already has the mag all the way under the bolt, and the locking is done behind the mag. I can design a rotating bolt rifle to take a BAR mag and put the bolt and locking lugs in front of the mag, but it will be longer than you would want it to be. An AR works this way, but its cartridges and lugs are short enough for people not to notice the difference. Bolt action rifles usually work this way too, but the bolt action saves enough space that again they usually don't notice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Dutch Armory started this "project" because the Dutch Government bought the Fal and wanted to use all those Garands in the same way (with the Nato cal. (win 308))

Rob

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Dutch Armory started this "project" because the Dutch Government bought the Fal and wanted to use all those Garands in the same way (with the Nato cal. (win 308))
Rob

The Garand works quite well in 7.62 NATO . I have one . And the origional 8 round enbloc clip works quite well in 7.62 NATO .

And the 8 round clips are much lighter to carry , than box mags . Biggest reason I can see for wanting a box mag is if you are thinking about FA fire . Which I guess is problimatic in a full power battle riffle caliber ( recoil ) ?

God bless
Wyr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts