Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife is always asking me if i want a gas grill, i say no i don't. i hung up cooking outside with my Weber, its just too damned hot out and humid...i cannot breath so good.

but assuming we lost power for more then a day. could one be brought into the house for normal stove top cooking. how about making coffee with an old fashioned stove top percolator, or boiling water?????

a couple years back areas of Ky had downed powerlines after a winter storm. those folks were weeks getting power back on. so i was thinking maybe it might be handy.

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
Why not get some Propane powered stovetops. We have them in our fishing cabin and don't have any issues with them.

They are kind of like these here, Amazon.com: Cast Iron Double Burner Propane Stove: Sports & Outdoors

We use an old fashioned percolator on it too. I actually used one on a portable gas stove with a tiny tiny propane bottle while camping this Summer.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
what 9 said. I love gas stoves, even the built in ones. A grill COULD Be used in doors, but the generate more heat than it seems, they tend to peel the paint and melt the vinyl on porch overhangs. They may set the house on fire, and are proned to grease fires besides. I use one, but I keep it outside. If you want something for shtf, get a camp stove, but the convinience of propane speaks for itself.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
A few years ago here in Ohio we lost power for a week. I used my gas grill for cooking. When power was restored I went to bass pro shop. I bought a 2 burner stove and 10 small bottles of propane. I think its a great idea for anyone to have on hand.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
another good thing to have is a hose adapter. Coleman for one makes them (got one). the hose adapter is like 10 feet long and adapts a large propane cylinder (20 pound outdoor grill size tank or larger) to the small camp stove size fitting used on the small propane bottles. can also be used with a gas lantern (but you'll need to hang the lamp from something not affected by the heat produced). setting up for something like a 2 burner camp stove with this system works great.
propane is much cheaper buying in bulk larger cylinders and adapting the large cylinders to a small camp stove means a regular 20 pound cylinder would last a very, very long time.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think what we have here is an opportunity to buy more camping gear. I have used my camp stoves during power outages, or just because I was in a place with no stove. Your not truly surviving if you can't have a hot cup of coffee!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Amazingly southern AZ had a bout with a, for lack of a normal term, "super freeze" back in the first half of the year. Everyone was caught off guard, all the heaters, including the catalytic camp heaters were all snatched up within my whole county. Having a coleman stove that runs off the little bottles is always a good idea.

Little propane bottle:

stove - have
lantern - have
heater - need

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,251 Posts
Wally World here carries an affordable Coleman propane two-burner that is very flat and compact - stores easily. Uses the standard one-pound cylinder,or you could adapt to the larger tank.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wally World here carries an affordable Coleman propane two-burner that is very flat and compact - stores easily. Uses the standard one-pound cylinder,or you could adapt to the larger tank.
Got one of these at a thrift store for $10, looked like it hardly had one good weekend of cooking on it too, perfect for a group. It was stolen by a family member, but at least he lets me cook on it during deer season. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
The Coleman 2 Burner Camp Stove, Propane Tanks and adapter hose were all part of our Y2K preps.

As for Coffee, we also have the stainless steel percolator style coffee pot to use on the stove. A hand crank coffee grinder was added to the Survival/Camping gears, as well. We have a stash of coffee beans, beside canned ground coffee. No disaster is going to catch us without a cuppajoe!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
propane is nice if you have a good supply stocked up, in the end a good dual fuel 2 burner camp stove seems a better option
ahh....the old white gas burner setup. brings back fond memories of camping with the family!
lanterns are more fun when you can blow yourself up with the white gas too!:laughing::dead:

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I have a Weber Q grill that uses the small propane Bottle. always keep 20 stocked up. saved me during Hurricane Wilma when we lost power for 16 Days.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
good repair

A person can get hurt with gas or liquid fuels if your equipment is in poor repair, pay attention to Propane hoses(especially on cheap models) the new ones seem to weathercheck really easy
Propane Gas Cylinders.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
propane is nice if you have a good supply stocked up, in the end a good dual fuel 2 burner camp stove seems a better option
years ago i had a COleman dual fuel 2 burner stove, it was great with gas or Coleman fuel. i also had a 2 mantle Coleman lantern. they worked great, but over the years they disappeared like alot of other stuff i have had.

i guess the consensus is a propane stove, and a large tank. thanks everyone.

Reactions: Jack Ryan
1 - 20 of 30 Posts