Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I use the heck outta my LG camp stove...I love camping & hotdog/hamberger fests at the beach :D

But I wouldn't use it indoors...too freekin hot. I don't mind cooking under the porch, but that's as inside as it gets.

As a good prepper, one should have at least a case of MRE's per person, preferably more...rotate 'em by going hunting/camping regularly...
Use 'em as Beach Chow a few months before they expire :)

For those that have "Outdoor Kitchens" like you see on the home shows...SMART MOVE!!
A sink & set-in BBQ grill under a porch is INVALUABLE!! Minor weather protection so you can cook in sprinkley rain and keep dry!
Some folks even have mini-kitchens in large gazebos...a sink, mini-fridge and grill setup is NICE :D

·
Registered
15,370 Posts
If you intend to use a propane grille or gas stove indoors, be it propane or white gas, I suggest a CO2 detector. Battery backup type.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Just kind of an FYI - the stoves and lanterns that were sold back in the day and used 'white gas' or Coleman fuel will work just fine with unleaded gasoline like in your car or truck. The heaters, too. The lead that used to be in gasoline as an antiknock ingredient screwed up the mantles, catalysts, etc., hence the requirement for white gas. With the advent of unleaded, the need for proprietary Coleman fuel went away. So, get the dual fuel or gasoline powered items and you have your vehicle fuel as a back up supply when your propane runs out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,330 Posts
You said it, teach. That's the safest way to go because of the variety of fuels you can burn. They are not as easy to maintain because of the O rings. I've used them in the past, but I have always had trouble pressing up the tanks. I'd love to find one with the owner's manual.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
I just googled "Coleman gas Lantern manual" and found the operators manual with the first try. Didn't look at it, but there was a listing for repair manuals, too. I tend to keep a couple spare parts around and kind of keep my eyes open for them when in the appropriate stores. The Amish use them a lot here so parts aren't too hard to find compared to some places, I guess.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
A propane camp stove would do the trick. Check out garage sales, second hand stores, etc. for used ones at good prices.
I'm used to "primitive". We did quite well, during our Texas cold snap, with just some fire bricks, hot granite blocks, and a good sized fire pit in the front yard.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Several good points raised. I would NEVER use a 20 pound LP bottle inside a house. A slow leak could be fatal. I own and use 4 different Colman stoves. I prefer the liquid fueled stoves, if there is a leak I can see it, that is what I would use inside.. There is something neat about hearing someone pump the stove in the morning to make coffee! Brings back lots of memories of camping trips and family fun times. Both of my liquid fuel stoves are dual fuel so I can use gasoline if needed. I have one single burner canister stove and then a 3 burner 20 pound bottle Guide special for cooking fish. Good point about the hoses on LP bottles they break-down with age and exposure to sunlight. Read my posting about the Texas ice storm and my plans to survive something like that in New Mexico.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I'm blessed with a fireplace insert with a sizeable extended flat top. And a reasonable amount of trees behind the house.
That said for times of the year I don't want to heat the whole house I've got 4 alcohol burning Trangai Stoves in my gear and no troubles setting one up. Reminds me I need to get over to lowes and see about getting another gallon of fuel for them. Highest purity rubbing alcohol works but it's too smokey for planned cooking.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
as most have said, get a small propane camp stove. it will do alot of stuff for you and not be near the hassle of a grill.

I got one off amazon for pretty cheap, or you can spend alittle more and get a classic coleman, they will likely outlast you if you take care of it. i have a coleman single burner propane stove that my dad bought in the 70's. It still goes with me on most camping trips.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts