close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gauge

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:eek: A unit of measure of the internal diameter of a shotgun barrel, determined by the number of spherical lead bullets of a diameter equal to that of the bore that are required to make one pound...12 balls equals 12 gauge, 20 balls equal 20 gauge...etc :nod: :assult:

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Of couse the exception to this rule is the .410 gauge which isn't a gauge as defined above...but an actual measure of caliber...which to me begs the question.. how come .45 Colt/.410 Gauge multi caliber guns which could fire off both types of ammunition interchangably beat out the .41 Magnum/.410 Gauge combination

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Gee thanks for telling us these things and keeping a dialog open with yourself, we wouldn't know what to do without ya!:p

4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have to talk to myself...nobody else listens

5. NRAJOE

Ha ha ha, yup we sure do LD!

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I was joking back at NRAJoe, Alan C...that's my only complaint about this forum...I can't read inflection so I miss out on a significant amount of communication...

7. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

You can bet it was the British that devised this measurement system. .410 makes a heck of lot more sense. But "What oh? A 75 calibre Purdy? Oh my, how bloody crude! 12 bore, much more civilized" :p

8. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Again, LD is a wealth of knowledge. But speaking of Gauges...I wish 16 would make a big comeback. Another question: Who or what decided to standardize shell 'colors'. Red for 12 ga., purple for 16 ga., yellow for 20 ga., etc. Does anybody know?

9. NRAJOE

Wait for Klaus...he'll know.

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Now that's funny. You know, it's a fact, there has yet, that I know of, been anything posted that he is not the SME (Subject Matter Expert)...simply amazing! You go Klaus!

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

16 gauge deserves to be way more popular...It is like the .40 Caliber. Which was a sensible answer to the whole 9mm vs .45 ACP argument...Only the 12 gauge would be the .45 ACP, the 20 gauge would be the 9mm...16 is like the .40...Right...smack dab in the middle

12. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

The nominal bore of a .410 shotgun is.410 inch. Which is why it it ought to be called the .410 bore instead of the .410 gauge. If the .410 had been named in the traditional fashion, by the number of lead balls .41 inch in diameter needed to make one pound, it would be about a 67-68 gauge. Many years ago it was also called the 36 gauge, and I have seen a picture of an old box of Remington shells marked "(36 GA.) .410-2 1/2 IN. (12 MM)." However, the "36 Gauge" designation was very inaccurate, as a true 36 gauge gun would actually have a .506 inch bore diameter.

13. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Shells are probably color coded so that you can tell in an instant whether you're using the wrong kind, a mistake that can be deadly.

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

What are you talking about Doc ?

15. Actually, the color-coding isn't very standardized at all. I have seen 12 ga. hulls in many other colors. Each European manufacturer has a system, but they rarely match up to each other.

16. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    I think the Color code goes back to the days of the old papershells
    and is a SAE thing (Society of American Engineers)
    Personally I like the color thing
    12 ga Should be red they dont look right when they arent
    20 ga Should be yellow
    It is upsetting when they change this.
    To Me at least

17. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    20's are typically allways standardized in yellow. It's a safety thing, you can get one 20ga, then another in the chamber of a 12ga. As mentioned, with catostrophic results for the gun and shooter.

I don't know if you can fit a couple of 16's in a 10ga? Just a thought.

True story, there are many, many, different collored 12ga hulls. There are multi colored 16's as well. Yes IMOHO the 16 rocks. (it's status tainted by the 20ga 3") The subject has been batted around here and there in the past. Since this original posting, Remington has re-introduced the 1100 in 16ga. As well as the 870

18. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Color coded?

I have all kinds of colors in my 12ga ammo:

Red
    Green
    Translucent
    Yellow
    White
    Black
    Orange

Maybe I missed one, it all depends on the manufacturer and it's intended use:

Slug
    Tactical Slug
    Bird Shot
    Sporting Clays
    ect.

19. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

I think that there's no color code!