Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share... Just posted a video comparing a Thermal Scope to a Gen 3 Clip-On in front of a 3x Prism scope at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

The equipment used was a FLIR PTS-233 Thermosight Pro (1.5x, 12 degree FOV, with 340x356 Boson Sensor), and a slightly older / like new Armasight CO-MR Gen 3 Pinnacle clip on (IIT Autogated Tube with 63 lp/mm resolution and 12.6 degree FOV).

It wasn't quite a fair fight as the conditions were 65F with 50% relative humidity (good for thermal) and pitch black out with only moderate starlight (no light pollution or other ambient light for any shadow detail etc. - very tough for regular night vision) but my verdict is both have their place and use.

Just my opinion but you can't beat gen 3 for being able to navigate around and terrain / detail awareness which Thermal comes up short in, But you can't beat Thermal for target acquisition especially since color detail is lost in regular NV.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Just wanted to share... Just posted a video comparing a Thermal Scope to a Gen 3 Clip-On in front of a 3x Prism scope at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

The equipment used was a FLIR PTS-233 Thermosight Pro (1.5x, 12 degree FOV, with 340x356 Boson Sensor), and a slightly older / like new Armasight CO-MR Gen 3 Pinnacle clip on (IIT Autogated Tube with 63 lp/mm resolution and 12.6 degree FOV).

It wasn't quite a fair fight as the conditions were 65F with 50% relative humidity (good for thermal) and pitch black out with only moderate starlight (no light pollution or other ambient light for any shadow detail etc. - very tough for regular night vision) but my verdict is both have their place and use.

Just my opinion but you can't beat gen 3 for being able to navigate around and terrain / detail awareness which Thermal comes up short in, But you can't beat Thermal for target acquisition especially since color detail is lost in regular NV.

Use thermal to find the target, use NV to maneuver and engage it. ;) (unless you can just sit back and snipe coyotes... or rain down 30mm on jihadies from a mile away lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts