Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id really like a german k-98 but most of the one i find for a decent price are the russian debo's so they are missing front sight hoods which i know i can replace but also missing cleaning rod and locking screws. what exactly do the locking screws lock? they sound kind of important.

also, is it worth getting the k-98 or are the yugo and other european nations 8mm mausers pretty much the same? in the long run i would prefer the k-98 just cause ive got a WW2 theme going at the moment. my friend just inherited a garand, springfield and m1 carbine and i own 2 mosin nagants and might have an enfield in the next few weeks. figure the k-98 would be a good starting point for the german side of ww2

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Well for the price, the Russian Capture K98s aren't too bad. I suppose it would be best if you could see what you are getting firstly, and of course the price. As far as other European Mausers, the Yugo Mausers I have heard are just like K98s, and just as good. The Yugo bayonets, anyways, the 24/47 bayos fit the K98s. Well, it fits mine. I bought mine from cogunsales.com. Czech Mausers I hear are also quite nice. Yugo Mausers for the price are a pretty good bargain. Classic Arms I know sells them, and has in the past. They do a pretty good write up on German K98 Mausers as well. I have browsed through them. They also sell sight hoods and cleaning rods, as well as cleaning kits. The locking screws I guess lock the action screws in place so they can't come loose. They are present on my RC gun, that I bought at a gun show for $230, that looked like it had never been shot. The bore was just a mirror, the main reason I bought it. Well hope that helps. Hope this picture helps you decide you want a K98 :D

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, the lock screws do sound important dont they?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I think thats what they were going for Twitch. I have mine, and they stay in place nice and tightened up. But so long as your action screws are staying put without them, then they must not be that necessary :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Locking screws

I have my Dad's K98 bringback and it has the holes for the locking screws, but they were never even tapped. One guy was going to loan me his tap, but since the gun came this way I do not want to alter it. It is a dou.44 which came from Checkoslovakia (spelling ?). They are not really needed anyways.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
By '44 they were taking all kinds of shortcuts, the premo guns were made in the thirtys.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
This is what I heard about the missing capture (locking) screws and missing cleaning rods. I heard that they were removed as part of a small arms agreement to make them unusable, without actually complying with the rules; something the Soviets were masters of. According to the many photos that I reviewed of the Eastern Front, many German Mausers, for whatever reason, didn't have their sights hoods.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Where are the capture screws located? I don't see any spare slotted holes anywhere on my rifle.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Here are some images of their appearance and location. Notice that the Mauser K98 on the right has capture (retaining) screws inboard of the regular trigger guard screws while some Mausers, like the one next to it on the left, never had them. They may or may not have been necessary given the German propensity to over engineer everything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
One of my K98ks shoots much better without the capture screws. The cutouts in the action screws are positioned so that installing the capture screws results in improper tensioning (one extremely tight and one slightly loose) of the action screws and opens the grouping up to almost 8" at 25 yards. I can get 3" at 100 yards with the capture screws out and action screws correctly tightened. About as good as I can get with the "V" notch sights.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Here are some images of their appearance and location. Notice that the Mauser K98 on the right has capture (retaining) screws inboard of the regular trigger guard screws while some Mausers, like the one next to it on the left, never had them. They may or may not have been necessary given the German propensity to over engineer everything.

That would explain it. Mine never had them.

Reactions: Dannyboy53
1 - 17 of 17 Posts