Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first off there's the well known 550 aka Paracord and various civilian renditions. Everyone ought to have a hank of it in their BOB.
But what other kinds?
In the past I used to hike with and have in some of my gear 110-120 pound Limb/trot or trout/bamk line. Although I have bought the plain white line ages ago I had a spot of light OD Green stuff. Not always used for real heavy stuff but it makes for handy and compact cordage. temp lean-to frames and it can be double wound for added strength Not saying as a substitute but the 300ft spool in my hand takes up about as much room as a 50ft wrapped piece of 550cord.
Bottle Drink Alcoholic beverage Font Ingredient

And of course it great for it's original purpose of getting catfish.

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,766 Posts
I've got an assortment of cordage and rope in my camping gear box. The one I like best is the reflective diamond pattern tent line rope I picked up at the visitor's center at South Mountains State Park.

This is the closest to what I'm looking for and it comes in 100' rolls. That's more than enough to replace all the tent lines pop up shade tent lines and leave me plenty for other things like a clothes line.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Excellent recommendations. I have a good selection of cords, lines, old fashined twine, and threads, but reflective and Power Twine - those are new to me. I have to go on a scavenger hunt and get some.
I have this stuff in my BOB, truck, tool boxes, garage, basement. I'm always using it for something.

Glove Sleeve Woolen Wool Pattern
Creative arts Violet Magenta Electric blue Pattern
Textile Sleeve Wood Woolen Wool
Woolen Rectangle Wool Fiber Rope
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Tints and shades

Tool Hypodermic needle Office supplies Writing implement Metal
And one day, this Awl will be yours.

·
16,766 Posts
The reflective was new to me too until I needed some tent lines (mine weren't quite long enough for where I was) when I went up to South Mountains State Park a couple of years ago. I found a package of lines at the Visitor's Center and fell in love with it. It's not super reflective but does let you know it's there. Which when you're as big a klutz as I am is important. That little bit of shine prevented me from face planting several times.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm able to and find a hiking group that tolerates disabled old geezers with firearms and big knives and maybe service animals for carrying stuff I might need the reflective line myself.
May even use it for bootlaces like I did para cord. So I won't trip over my own 2 feet in the dark.😆

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
12 lb fishing line.
strong hard to see and weighs nuthin.

that rope wicked shows is all over in my truck, in the 4 wheeler, in my day pack.
cut to length, burn the end, and lift 200 lbs. or tie down stuff.
i've used it to tie the wheeler on the trailer, to tie half a moose on the wheeler, to drag/hang a deer, and to just make a line for hanging towels on in camp.
cheap enough i seem to buy another 25 or 50' roll of the stuff when i see it.
it's color coordinated for the family too.
i get yellow, Littlegirl gets purple, oldest girl red, the boy Blue, and the SIL green.
we all know whose rope is whose and it can be used to mark a trail or whatever and we instantly know who was there.

·
Registered
22,879 Posts
I've been saying this for years, but the handiest thing I've run across is the high-tensile kite string. I carry a black roll of the Spectra kite string, and I also have a roll at the store and in my gun show supply box. What I have only holds 285 lbs, but you can get it from 80lbs, to 1500 lbs (which is only around 4mm thick).

(Braided Spectra Twine1.9 mm / 425 ft / Black)

You can get it at some hardware stores, usually in red or yellow, but often times it is cheaper at hobby stores. Sometimes they buy the industrial-sized rolls, and a spooler to make smaller quantities for people, and I got my last 500 ft roll for $30 that way.

I

·
16,766 Posts
I got the cord in and to be honest I'm not too impressed with the reflectiveness. It might be better in the dark, I just haven't checked. But some is better than none, especially when the line is close to the ground. I got to thinking about the color and realized the blue is better for me during the day, too. I'll be able to clearly see it so there's less change of tripping over it and doing the stumble, bumble, try to catch my balance and end up clinging to a tree so I don't face plant thing...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts