Gun and Game Forum banner

What manufacturers do you like the best?

• Winchester

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Marlin

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Remington

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Browning

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Ruger

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Fox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • others

Votes: 16 57.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rifles manufacturers do you like the best?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For what purpose?
This is all for fun and nothing else.

I always thought that I was an accumulator of cool rifles and handguns. I probably crossed the line to be a "collector" of fine guns. My main purpose is to just shoot them while maintaining their historic value.

This is my best rifle which is a 1950 Winchester Model 94. It may have been unfired before, but I fired 10 rounds..

Those great pre-1964 rifles may be the best.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
i seem to like my winchester lever rifles [and their copy's] and really like their shot gun designs. I have no problem with their bolt guns, but i generally buy a Ruger bolt rifle because?,,, well because, i can buy 2 of them for the cost of a new winchester.
besides i been working with them long enough i can get them to shoot quite nicely.

Lately i hardly even look at anything besides a Bergara rifle, they are what the rem 700 should be, but ain't, and cost less to boot.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
While I can't say "All of Them", I will say that if I purchased it no matter from the majority of the time I've been happy with it. That being said looking at what I've owned Ruger, Marlin and CZ are three that tend to stand out, But I think the truth is that for most folks, myself included a big part of the "Like Best" is subjective and based on what is affordable and what we have experience with so perhaps more than we might like to admit the phrase "Bang for the Buck" (pun intended) really does apply.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
went with the ones I'm most familiar with, Winchester and Ruger. Winchester for the 70 (just read that Elmer Keith worked on its development) and Ruger for the No 1.

Reactions: Mindy up North

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
There are a ton of good shooting rifles made by various makers, Savage has made affordable and accurate rifles for ever, Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Browning and Kimber all make beautiful rifles. As we all know, rifles come in a vast awray of types, calibers, chamberings and designed purposes. I have to agree with Chazam, to broad and vague...your lever rifles are classics!

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
For long guns I like Marlin, Remington, Mossberg and Winchester but like 80's and before though. I like older firearms with quality and wood stocks. You posted under General Rifle I believe so I am not going to stray away to pistols.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Older Weatherby and Marlins for me. I was gonna say a few custom outfits, but they build off of existing rifles so I left them out. I also like some of Henry's Big Boy rifles. I pester them often about a 454 Casul offering to go with my Wolverine😊

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I like older Remington's and savages I know alot of people don't like the savages because they were ugly and heavy but the 2 semi customs I've done are on savage 110 actions there just easy to work on.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Too vague and broad of a question.
For instance some manufacturers that might have been a favorite 50 years ago are basically non contenders now. (or even nonexistent now)

I agree but didn't want to make it too complicated. Plus, you can change your vote.
BTW, I see "other" is leading by a wide margin. :LOL:

Reactions: Jaison

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
I agree but didn't want to make it too complicated. Plus, you can change your vote.
BTW, I see "other" is leading by a wide margin. :LOL:
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but the answer to your subject line "what manufacturers do you like the best" would be 1 brand for a center fire lever action, a different brand for a bolt action, and another brand yet for a pump, and another choice for a semi-auto, and another brand entirely for s single shot. And then many of those choices would change if i was thinking about rim fire 22LR, and some would morph again if I considered the 22WMR. That's why I contend that it's too vague and broad.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
I like older Remington's and savages I know alot of people don't like the savages because they were ugly and heavy but the 2 semi customs I've done are on savage 110 actions there just easy to work on.
I forgot about the older Savage and Stevens. Good rifles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts