close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

German ww2 handguns!

Discussion in 'General Military' started by adamhgkb, Sep 19, 2011.

1. adamhgkb

adamhgkb G&G Newbie

I apologize for being OCD here today.......but was shopping for a German military firearm was only thinking of P38 in terms of pistols.....when a guy mentioned the polish P35 and CZ27.....thoughts on both of those or other great guns to be had for modest prices.....

2. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You can probably get a post war walther P1 which is an alloy framed P38 for under 300 bucks. They are ok. A Polish Radom will run you a bit more but they are great shooters, and all steel. Also, the Browning-style trigger is much better for target shooting than the P38/P1 trigger.

3. adamhgkb

adamhgkb G&G Newbie

have no interest in ANYTHInG post war or that doesnt have marking........looking for something that will be somewhat unique, modestly priced, and decent to shoot thanks cjleete

4. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

If you want a nice WWII German pistol, I would look for a PPK or PP. They came in various finishes and grips, depending on who received them. I was on a Walther kick a few years ago, had 6 of them at one time, but sold them off and kept two PP's one in 7,65 and the other in 22LR. Here is a good site to look at them Simpson Ltd. - Collectors Firearms - Simpson Ltd. - Collectors Firearms

As for the CZ and Polish, yeah they are nice but if you want history do some quick research and see which type of soldier you want memorabilia from . Officer, foot soldier, Nazi Police, SS, Party leader etc. Walther was a biggie.

5. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Evangelist

If you have the money, and can track one down, get a Luger. They were definitely a gun ahead of their time in terms of engineering excellence and accuracy. They are amazing considering the design is over 110 years old. A Walther PP or PPK would be my second choice.

6. adamhgkb

adamhgkb G&G Newbie

Again people MODESTLY PRICED !!!!! of course luger etc. is "the way to go" but by moderately priced I mean WELL UNDER A THOUSAND!

7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

adam, I hate to tell you this, but the days of modestly priced Nazi-era pistols ended at least a decade ago, if not two. The presence of waffenamt marks adds at least a hundred dollars, if not two hundred dollars, to an otherwise pedestrian pistol.Yes, the Nazis took over every arms factory in every country they occupied, from the Radom plant to the factory in Norway making M1911s under license from Colt, and put the guns to military or police use, usually locally so as to minimize ammunition difficulties. But the chances of finding a good one for under a grand is low.

The last time I found a wartime P-38 in good shape, it was going for $1500. The last Luger with waffenamt stamps and a 1942 production date I saw was going for $1200, and that was 2 years ago. I saw a Hi-Power with military stamps last year with two magazinesand a holster with Wehrmacht stamps on the back going for $2000. I recall an ad in the Collectors Corner of the Southern Ohio Gun catalog for a Nazi police Walther PP about 9 months back that was offered for $2800. From what I have seen, those prices are fairly typical.

The only German military arms I have seen for under a thousand dollars in the past year have been Mauser 98K rifles. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the market is what it is. You have a much more liberal state than the Peoples Democratic Republic I live in, so you might get luckier in the local gun shops than I've been around here.

8. adamhgkb

adamhgkb G&G Newbie

cyrano YES the prices are high but nothing like that here in ohio.....sure mint etc rare are high but it is pretty easy to find a nice toy for well under a K

9. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

I've got tp disagree about prices on the wartime pistols.
    Yes, If you want Exc/Mint examples or odd/unusual markings then you are looking at big $$$. However if you are looking for the more common varieties and not in near new condition, then most pistols will be priced way under $1000.
    If you keep your eyes open bargins will pop up. You just have to have the $$ in the bank to take advantage of the opportunity.
    I picked up a mismatched SVT 40 for $200 at a gun show, at another a guy walked in with a Hi-Power & 2 mags for $600. I got an Astra 600/holster & xtra mag for $400. The 2 pistols were in 98% condition. All 3 of these were in the past 2 yrs.
    Sarge

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

alot of nazi marked pistols can be found for fairly reasonable prices. the germans used so many different pistols during the war, your choices are many.

11. CopperniX

CopperniX Forum Fanatic Staff Member

Most people think that the Germans only used German made weapons during WW2 like the Walther P38 and the well known Luger P08. The fact of the matter is that whenever they occupied a country they had the weapons plants there keep manufacturing weapons. For the most part the European countries were already producing Mauser pattern rifles anyways but a wide array of handguns. Probably doesn't help your case any but its a little bit of history none the less.

12. USMCShinigami

USMCShinigami G&G Newbie

I have both a P38 (SS Marking) and a Luger, but unfornately they are not for sale, got them as an XMas present from my dad 4 months before he passed.

last Luger I seen for sale was the Arty model and the seller wanted $350, last P38 went for $500 (was in better shape than the Luger)

13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Shinigami, the Artillery Luger might have been the better buy even if it wasn't in as good shape as the Walther. There were a lot fewer P-08 Artillery Lugers made than P-38s. The P-38 is a more reliable design, but it doesn't have the cachet the Luger enjoys. If you had the cash in hand, you might have missed a bargain.

14. USMCShinigami

USMCShinigami G&G Newbie

I had the cash, but I was working on another deal with the dealer, buying an all matching M91/30 PU and SVT-40.

But in North Carolina when I was stationed there, the gun shows there had at least 4 Lugers, I'm still young and still have time to get the P08 Luger for my collection

15. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

What are the "SS markings" on your P.38? How about a photo?
    Sarge

16. USMCShinigami

USMCShinigami G&G Newbie

I'm in Japan so I can't get a picture up for another 2 years...

but the SS lightning bolt 'SS', I did get this from my dad, who got it from my grandfather, I had the Pistol for less than an hour before I left for Japan, everything I'm saying is from what my dad passed, now he could be mistaking the Waffen stamp for the SS

17. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

There's a premium on true Third Reich handguns to date that goes well above 1 or 5 thousand dollars.

There is a fascination for the Third Reich and owning a handgun by the Third Reich like my Mauser 1937 Luger in 9mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

issued to the the German Third Reich in WWII as a military sidearm.

Wow!

How does it function and man don't we like the history on this! Let's kick up the price on this 1937 WWII Nazi Pistol beyond reason and sell it to someone who wants it for that price!

Or just buy a Browning Hi Power today made in Belgium assembled in Portugal in 9mm P-35 today and have all the metallurgy and strength and precision from today's standards and tell the ones wanting to sell their old P35s and P-08s to go to hell.

Nothing in history matches the present P35 Browning Hi Power. We have lots of 1911 variations and cheap ways to evade spending less than a $1000 on a 1911.

We can do the same with any handgun we want. Spend less than $1000 for a .22 auto or revolver or LCP or some other cheap thing.

Keep your wallet as your divider between what is real and what is not. If you can't afford the higher approved mark then save up to it. Don't settle for anything less.

18. sonofagun

sonofagun G&G Newbie

Help Identifying

My father also brought back a German Handgun from WWII. I recall sneaking peeks of it in his bedroom dresser many moons ago back in the 60's or early 70's. Found out he sold it to a neighbor back then for $800.00.

I'm trying to locate this neighbor to this day to recover it if still available.

It resembled either a Browning HP or 1911. It was blue steel with matching color grip. It distinctively had "SS" & Lightning bolt stampings on each side front & rear. What could it be??

19. hoopster

hoopster G&G Newbie

I have a German World War II Pistol. My Uncle, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge came back with it. I'd like to know if anyone knows the Name and Manufacturer of this gun. It has a Clip that holds 6 Shells (REM-UMC 25 AUTO).The Pistol measures 4-1/4 inches total length and has Yellow Plastic on the Handle. It also has the German Serviceman's Name on it: Rudolf Klein Muenchen. I think to cock the gun there is a slide mechanism. I would love to take this gun to the shooting range and learn how to use it; and also get a license for it also. Can anyone help identify it?

20. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

I also have 2 German pistols. I should say my wife does. I bought her a P-38,Nazi-marked, all numbers matching Mauser, with the hard shell holster and 2 mags. The guy threw in a 1921FN, browning patent, in .32acp for free.Both are great shooters, and my youngest son shoots the heck out of targets with the .32.. I paid $300 bucks for the pair, 2 years ago. They were bring backs from WWII, and I also have the orders allowing the pistols to come home.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted