close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting a feel for Mosins without furniture

Discussion in 'Firearms Listings' started by The_Wardog, Jan 22, 2018.

1. I'm looking for something a bit...different.

I'd like a mosin action/barrel/bolt setup (the complete functional parts) minus the stock, so I can work on it without fear of damaging historical or collectors value. It must be in good order and functional, just needing a new stock.

Preferably I'd like an M38. Currently I'm just looking at prices but may have some 'disposable income' shortly. I'm kicking this idea around before making the purchase.

2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    A few years ago barreled actions were relatively inexpensive. I haven't seen any for a while now. Have you found any in a price range you're willing to pay?

rando, neophyte and Cyrano like this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    We aren't going to see affordable Mosins again until and unless the embargo Bobo the Clown put on Russian firearms is lifted -- something Donnie Jingles swore he was going to do but has not done so far. And even then, expect the prices to be higher than they were in the Time Before Bobo.

4. I haven't found anything, at least not locally.

5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

You might call some of the importers. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a few lying around due to broken stocks.

animalspooker likes this.
  6. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

You're late to the party. I see just barrels with receiver stubs going for close to $100. I bought a large number of "parts'' rifles from a fellow who had bought crates of them and broken them all down into their parts, he put everything needed to put one together into a box and sold them to me for $75 then I'd put them together.

The importers sell anything that isn't up to par as "u-fix-em's", I bought a number of those too and did whatever minor repair that was needed. Sometimes it was a broken stock, other times just a screw missing or a handguard band.

Big Dog likes this.
  7. I always seem to be late to the party when I find something of use :-/

I found a website sometime last year, don't recall the name, but it had a bunch of mosins for sale, all damaged stock/missing pieces, and the prices were upwards of $250.

Really disheartening when you see that. But it can also mean my current guns may become more valuable in time.

8. writerinmo

You should still be able to snag local sellers for around the $200 mark or so for a plain Jane 91/30.

9. Lowest going rate is $350 at gun stores. Haven't tried pawn shops yets, that may be a different matter but I'm not a big fan of pawn shops. If I were to visit one I'd certainly take extra precautions when purchasing.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah, I have not seen any barreled actions for sale in a coon's age. They used to be quite common and cheap.

Dutch likes this.
  11. gandog56

Saw one for sale on Gunroker, but my gosh. He wanted like $300 for it. I can buy an entire one for less than that. Even a Chinese T53 barrel and receiver was $180.

Dutch likes this.
  12. gandog56

And I offered to sell my nephew a whole rifle today for like $150....but he gets the FAMILY discount.

Big Dog likes this.
  13. Bop him on the head if he doesn't take that offer lol.

14. gandog56

Well, I did sell him a Saiga .223 for a bit more than I paid for it, I was feeling half guilty when I gave him the Mosin Nagant price. I think he likes the Saiga though. Except for the part where he wants to make it all tanti-cool.

15. writerinmo

Just watched a 91/30 barrel with stub of receiver on ebay go for more than I paid for any of my Mosin's...over $86 plus shipping.

16. That's not worth it to me...I want a barrel/receiver/bolt so I don't have to track down a suitable bolt. Too much hassle.