Getting cosomoline out the easy way

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Asbestos, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

I may have done something horribly wrong but it worked well for me, i got the cosmoline out of my new Mosin Nagant with brake cleaner, just sprayed the metal parts and wiped them down with a paper towel took me less than 30 mins to remove the cosmoline then i cleaned it like normal. It did not effect the bluing and it was really easy compared to the heating water, just wanted to share that this worked really well, and to see if what i did was HORRIBLY wrong just a $4 way to clean out a mosin nagant.

2. Most any kind of solvent will work. I have had some SKSs over the years that were COVERED in cosmoline, I mean covered. I have used kerosene with good results, brake cleaner, and even gasoline. I think that all the SKSs that I have restored, kerosene worked the best. I take them completely apart, restore them, and make the wood look amazing. 200 grit to 1000 grit to 2000 grit, then linseed oil with a foam brush and let sit for a week. Then 2000 grit and another coat of linseed oil and repeat about 5 times.

3. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

thats what i used in my 91/30 and my yugo sks. and carb cleaner

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Beer Forever pretty much summed it up !!