Getting into handloading, is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stitchclimber, May 5, 2008.

1. Alright so I want to start reloading. I know that I should read a couple of good books on the subject before I start, but I have a guy offering to sell me some of his stuff and I need to know if its a decent deal or not.

here's the last email I got from him:

"i have an extra set of used reloading equipment that i am looking to sell most of it is RCBS i have everything you would need to get started press, trimmer, powder measurer, scale and all the other small stuff, also have some dies for 357 and about 200rounds of brass. i am asking $125 for everything so let me know if your interested."

What do you guys think? I'm hoping to reload .357, .38spl, 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&W, .223, .308, and 30-06 eventually.

Also, I saw this list on midway as a must for a beginner reloader, do you guys think its accurate? would you add or take anything away from it?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended Products for the Beginning Reloader
    (Rifle & Pistol)
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    1. Reloading Manual: Accurate Arms, A-Square, Barnes, Hodgdon, Hornady, Lapua, Lee, Lyman, Nosler, Sierra, SPG, Speer and Vihtavouri.
    2. Press: Single Stage, Turret or Progressive
    3. Dies
    4. Shell holders (if the die set doesn't have them)
    5. Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler: Media, Polish, Sifter, Bucket and Clear Lid
    6. Frankford Arsenal Loading Block (caliber specific)
    7. Frankford Arsenal Case Lube (you won't need if using carbide dies)
    8. Case Neck Brush
    9. Dial Calipers: Stainless Steel or Electronic
    10. Case Trimmer
    11. Frankford Arsenal Deburring Tool
    12. Primer Pocket Cleaner
    13. Primer Tray
    14. Priming Tool (if the press doesn't come with a primer attachment)
    15. Powder Scale
    16. Powder Funnel
    17. Powder Trickler
    18. Powder Measure (nice for faster powder charges)
    19. Frankford Arsenal Bullet Puller
    20. Frankford Arsenal CB/Plastic Ammo boxes and labels
    Components: MidwayUSA sells everything you need to reload.
    [/FONT]

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

It seems to be a fair price. The list is a good one.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

that is a fair price
    and that list will do most of what needs done.
    was there a case trimmer in there? there is you will have to add very little to up and going.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

While not everything on that list is absolutely necessary, it seems to have all of the basic requirements.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am not real fond of all Frankford accesories but they are ok.I would use other brands.Just my opinion,good list. sam.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Wish he would have said if the scale was a balance or a digital one.

7. I can email him... which is better? digital?

8. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i dont like that he isnt specific in what everything is, but it sounds like a realy good price for RCBS stuff. i prefer Lee stuff because its cheaper, but i dont think it matters unless your buying new.
    for a reloading manual i would recommend Modern Realoding (second edition) by Richard Lee, it has tons of listings, and is only 13.99 @ midwayusa.com right now, but its on backorder expected 5/18/08.
    hodgdon has a helpful website it use if you are using there powder.

p.s. digital is a lot nicer and faster, but a balance scale is much simpilar and is much less likely to fail or be inacurite. but if its a good digital scale there should be no concern.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. for a reloading manual i would recommend Modern Realoding (second edition) by Richard Lee, it has tons of listings, and is only 13.99 @ midwayusa.com right now, but its on backorder expected 5/18/08.
    hodgdon has a helpful website it use if you are using there powder.

p.s. digital is a lot nicer and faster, but a balance scale is much simpilar and is much less likely to fail or be inacurite. but if its a good digital scale there should be no concern.[/quote

I have a balance scale and a digital scale I use the digital for weighing my homecast bullets and the balance one to measure smokeless powder loads, I load the Holy Black by volume.

10. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Start with a balance beam type scale wait till you have several years reloading before getting a digital scale they are more complex.

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Digital is a lot easier, a balance is probably more accurate. But is being +/-0.05 grain better worth the extra effort? I find it not so. But I have the Pace scale and high speed dispenser set up.

Are you nuts? A digital is way easier to use.

Last edited: May 6, 2008