Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my CCW finally!! I am going to carry a Glock 19 and I was wondering how you guys and gals carry mid sized pistols. I like the idea of small of the back and inside the waist band. Any suggestions on good ccw holsters?? Look forward to hearing responses. I have the class on Saturday and I will get the permit within the week after the class. My work allows us to carry CCW due to the dangerous nature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not too long ago I got my ccw. I as well carry my glock 19. Its not too bad with a mid sized handgun, as long as you find the right holstering set up for you.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can't speak as to what best works with a Glock as i carry a different make, though that probably does'nt much matter. It is likely I think that you find you need or desire more than on type of holster, depending on your needs or activities. I have one that is leather and slides onto my belt and is worn at the rear of my hip, the tilt or attitude can be 1 of to ways, near verticle or angled forward. The other I employ is a shoulder holster like the typical LE style commonly seen. Weather, and activity most often dictate which i choose at a given time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry my mid size gun on a shoulder holster when I am wearing a jacket, or I carry it in the pants holster at my back. Like AKhunter said,it depends on your needs or activities.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I've heard a lot of negative comments about small-of-the-back carry. It's a real good way to injure your back if you were to fall on it.

Everybody does it differently, I carry a 1911 at 3 o'clock and I use a Beltster, not a holster. Some prefer IWB, some OWB, some crossdraw, some shoulder rigs, and some pocket holsters. Then there's vertical vs. horizontal shoulder rigs. In any event, the key thing is the belt! A good quality belt is a prime component of carrying comfortably.

Anyway, congrats! Be careful, and shop around 'til you find what you want. Might get yourself a cheapo to tide you over while you sniff over the various carry options. An Uncle Mike's clip-on nylon IWB will let you try different positions and angles to find what trips your trigger.

And for what it's worth, a LOT of people rave about the Milt Sparks Versa Max II, but you'll have to wait a few months for one. Unless you find some place that has one in stock for your Glock, and you don't want some special leather work.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I carry a G27 at the 4 o'clock position in a Glock Sport Combat holster. I think the holster set me back about $12. Give it a shot, not losing much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HOLSTERS

IT'S HARD FOR ONE TO TELL ANOTHER WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM.I HAVE CARRED FOR OVER 25 YEARS NOW AND STILL FIND NEW HOLSTERS I LIKE EVERY YEAR. THE BEST THING TO DO IS START WITH SOMETHING THAT IS COMFORTABLE TO YOU AND THEN WORK AROUND THAT. YOU WILL FIND IN NO TIME AT ALL YOU WILL HAVE MANY DIFFERENT HOLSTERS AND I'M SURE GUNS TO GO WITH THEM. IT'S NICE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CARRY AT WORK BUT I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO BE WARY ON THE JOB. IS YOUR COMPANY WILLING TO BACK YOU UP IF YOU EVER PULL YOUR GUN? WHAT ABOUT IF YOU SHOOT SOMEONE? ARE THEY GOING TO BE WILLING TO GO TO COURT WITH AND FOR YOU?JUST A FEW QUESTIANS TO ASK IN CASE. OTHERWISE GOODLUCK WITH THE PERMIT AND BE SAFE ALWAYS.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like a lot of those holsters, thanks for the link. I have a shoulder holster for jackets, sweaters, and button-up shirts. When I jeans and T Shirt I have to have something that is as unnoticeable and easy to draw as possible. I have heard the argument that small of the back can cause injury if you fall on your back, but if you are facing somebody it is defiantly more concealed.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
B-F I've seen pictures of you here so I'll suggest you buy what ever shirt size you wear, but buy some in LONGS and then buy you a pancake style holster to wear on your hip for your Glock and wear your shirt tail out.
I think my son has the 19 and he's 6' 2" and trim or skinny so he wears long shirts anyway and they hide his Glock perfectly.
That lucky feller !

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have really been leaning towards the pancake holster. I like the fact that they are pressed up against you firmly so you know your piece is there and somebody can't just sneak up behind you and snatch it right out of your holster like they can a kydex. Also, they are closer to my budget. After what some cops have told me I am going to go with a top strap without a doubt. I have been told by police that people buy all varieties of the kydex holsters and just practice on each other, sneaking up behind and snatching the gun out with ease. I'd like to see somebody take my gun out of the shoulder holster!!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Congrats on the CCW arrival. :) Your life will be forever changed, in a good way of course. It is always a step in the right direction when people take a proactive approach to the responsibility of their own safety.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
With a Glock, I like the clip draw. Comes with everything you need. easily installs. And it is reversible for left or right handed.
CLIPDRAW...For Secure Carry Without a Holster

Hey Glock, nice.. Think I will try one on my 1911. Sorry, do not carry a Glock. With my Mil Pro or 1911 I use Uncle Mike holsters or carry my Kel-Tec 9 in my pocket

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My application is in the mail and I will get the permit within the week. I learned so much at that class and realized how much more practice I need with the handgun. I am a crack shot with rifles, but I now know that I am average at best with the pistol and the pistol is what will be used in self defense. I think that I am going to end up with about 10 different holsters for all different purposes. In Tucson AZ, in the dead of summer, about the only option is inside the waist. At night, you can get away with a lot more, but during the day I am not going to be wearing any extra clothing I don't have to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts