close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting Things Ready For Coyote Hunting 2018

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Wicked109, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Today I'm going to the basement and get my Weatherby Vanguard .223 cleaned, oiled, replace the CR2032 battery in the Illuminated Reticle scope. Got to get ready for lots of coyotes around my son's new place. We will start coyote hunting when deer season ends and are looking forward to having fun. I also plan on reloading some more rounds to replenish my stock now that winter is almost here.
    Anybody else have similar plans?

big shrek, jwrauch, rando and 4 others like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Wicked109: Sir, I've done a pinch of coyote scouting. :) Take pictures :)

Wicked109 and Rambo like this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I'm with you; only I do more wolf hunting than coyote hunting. The plan is to try elk and moose calls this year instead of the usual predator sounds. It's worth a try. Wolves are smart critters.

4. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Son's trail cameras have quite a few photos of coyotes and you can hear them both during the day and night. Here are a few photos.
    Back of Property.jpg Mineral Lick Near House.jpg Near House and Front Tree Stand.jpg

big shrek, neophyte, mdj696 and 4 others like this.
  5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

that last one is the top dog around there.
    get him.
    then you can use the re-set on the packs hierarchy to your advantage.

6. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Nice coat on number 3.

7. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Great recommendation. If it's anything like deer season has gone so far, they will be out and about when we're not. :(

jwrauch likes this.
  8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

I do 99% of my reloading in the winter. About all I reload any other time is shot gun ammo.

we have pretty much stopped useing any distressed rabbit sounds. We use a squealing piglet a lot along with a coyote pack having a party. Also helps to make use of a decoy like the Weasle ball on Varmint Al's web site. Full moon night give or take about 3 days is also a good time to hammer them.

Hope you have a good fur buyer who pays good. coyote # 3 sure looks prime.

:D Al

big shrek, neophyte, jwrauch and 3 others like this.
  9. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

I got my 243 sighted in with some Superformance 58gr Vmax today. It shoots pretty dang well!

neophyte, billy, Rocky7 and 3 others like this.
  10. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I guess we'll have to find one, had not given it any consideration.
    Neighbor told my son you can find some nice arrowheads in the area, hmmm... I like that.

neophyte likes this.
  11. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Same here.

neophyte and austinjoe13 like this.
  12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

my 243 likes that V-max too.
    I bet it has to jump a full inch to the rifling but it sure shoots good.

neophyte, jwrauch and Wicked109 like this.
  13. alleyyooper

I like my 220 Swift best, but when it is on the windy side the 243 comes out. Load it with 85gr. HPBT Serria bullets. Does a great job and I don't seem have a lot of sewing after the shot.

A friend has a 22 center fire based on a 308 case in a Remington 742. Plus he is a really good shot so get a bunch of doubles. Bunch of us covet that rifle.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  14. opskbert

opskbert G&G Newbie

Hi Folks, I am new here but have loved reading your posts for some time now.

Alleyyooper......Please tell us more about your friends .22/308!! I can tell already, I want one!!

neophyte and Wicked109 like this.
  15. alleyyooper

Well he picked up this Remington 742 that was chambered for 308. Looked god awful, we all picked on him becoming a scrap metal depot. when he bought it he got it in writing he could get his money back if a gun smith said it could not be saved.

Well it was deemed safe to fire with factory 308 ammo. So the tear down began, All the metel was left at the smiths to reblue, rebarrel with a 22 cal barrel from Wisconsin. the wood was taken home and carefully sanded grain raised and all the checkering redone. Then many hours rubbing tung oil and steel wooling.

After about 10 months the metal parts al reblued and a new barrel were mated with the wood. Since it started life as a 308 it was easy to neck down in stages to 22 cal. After a lot of range time a load was picked for coyotes and the 3d time out a double was taken but also started a lot of cussing.
    Next time out there was a case catcher installed to stop the cussing.

Looks 100% better than any AR style rifle on the market and every one of us who picked on him for buying that hunk of junk are eatting our word and would like to find our own 742 Remington, Maybe even a Winchester Model 100.

big shrek, neophyte and Wicked109 like this.
  16. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I would love to get into coyote hunting. I guess my 30/06 wouldn't be a problem.

17. alleyyooper

To kill coyotes any thing like a 22 mag up is fine and there are a couple of 17's even.

18. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Regular

19. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Regular

My .243 loaded with 60 grain Sierra hollow points and 4064 shoots 1 hole groups and is best coyote load I have.

Rambo, neophyte and austinjoe13 like this.
  20. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Ron,

Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
    Stop by the introduction thread and say "hello".

neophyte likes this.