Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son told me of an 8mm Mauser his uncle's dad, Bud, had. He said Bud didn't really care for it and wanted to trade it. My ears perked up right about here. He wanted to trade it for a handgun or a different rifle.

I hadn't seen it, but my son told me it was very clean and had a nice bore. He also mentioned someone had sporterised it, but had done a pretty fair job. Said it looked pretty good.

I gave my son a couple of handguns for Bud to look at and see if he wanted to trade. He didn't want to trade for the guns I sent, and said he wanted a rifle or a revolver. In the meantime, my son had let his uncle see the handguns I had sent. He told my son he would take one of the handguns and then trade something he had to Bud. So, that's how it all went down.

So all in all, I have the equivalent of about $250.00 in the rifle. It has a bunch of different markings I think are proof marks and marks from being rearsenaled. It has a 1917 DANZIG and crown on the receiver. It looks like an original military stock, but there's no hole in the stock for breaking down the bolt, and no sign of a repair where one once was.

I'm not much of a photographer 20200510_002546.jpg 20200510_002538.jpg 20200510_002508_Burst01.jpg 20200510_002318_Burst01.jpg 20200510_002306.jpg 20200510_002250.jpg 20200510_002546.jpg 20200510_002538.jpg 20200510_002508_Burst01.jpg 20200510_002318_Burst01.jpg 20200510_002306.jpg 20200510_002250.jpg , but here are a few pics.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Mesa' thinks you've been studying a bit and sported it may be, you done good & there for a minute I almost thought that I was reading an earlier post from that river Pirate or myself and I needed that chuckle :) .

As is good deals on Gew's & 98's are hard enough to come by as is these days, and surplus 8mm is pretty much dried up and gone although you may find a stash here and a stash there, especially on www.mewe.com but brass & components are plentiful if you load for them.

What I'm wondering about is if the barreled receiver is still original and not chopped?. If so, that makes it even nicer as you may have a little luck in locating some original furniture to bring it back to original configuration at some point in time :) . I'm still looking for original furniture for my Norwegian krag Jorgensen and US Springfield 30/40 Krag to drop the complete barreled actions in but I'm beginning to think it'll be easier to find a stash of Dragon's Teeth instead . Atleast I got lucky and found a pair of 8mm's that I was able to pick up so it's all good, a WW1 Steyr M95 in 8X56R thats gotta be one of the most brutal carbines you can squeeze the trigger on, or then again maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment . Really, check out Iraq veteran 8888's M95 videos & a nice Turkish Mauser that I picked up a few weeks back in 8X57 . I've actually been keeping my eyes open for a K98 barreled receiver that may be looking for a new home, but with the way things are going as of late who knows how that'll go but while I'm at it I'll keep my eyes open for some furniture you may be able to put to good use yourself and if I find something I'll send them your direction :) ...

·
Banned
744 Posts
A collector pointed out to me the bolt take down on older rifles was a retro fit. Hope the stock has not be cut back or any mods have been done to the rifle.

·
Wonderment :)
33,496 Posts
ninwnc: Sir; some history :)

https://conscioushunter.com/8mm-mauser/

Based on the Patrone 88 cartridge which was a first generation smokeless powder cartridge, the 8mm Mauser (aka 7.92 x 57mm) was originally developed by the German Rifle Testing Commission in 1903 to 1905. It was created as a military service rifle cartridge for use in their Gewehr 98 bolt action rifles and was used by German soldiers in both WWI and WWII.

Due to the cartridge’s effectiveness and versatility, it was also adopted as a military service cartridge by many other countries such as the U.K., Spain and, even China. Although the cartridge has since been replaced by the 7.62 x 51mm NATO cartridge among NATO nations and by other military service cartridges in other countries, the 8mm Mauser cartridge is a favored hunting cartridge among European hunters even though some countries (such as France) prohibit civilians from using former military service cartridges.

Despite the fact that the Treaty of Versailles (pronounced “Versai”) which was signed by Germany at the conclusion WWI did allow the German Army to continue using the 7.92×57mm Mauser as their service rifle cartridge, it prevented civilians from using Mauser 98 rifles chambered for the cartridge for hunting or self defense.

During the 1930’s, Germany ceased to follow the restrictions imposed upon them by the Treaty of Versailles and the cartridge quickly gained popularity among civilians as a hunting cartridge and remains so to this day.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm wondering about is if the barreled receiver is still original and not chopped?. If so, that makes it even nicer as you may have a little luck in locating some original furniture to bring it back to original configuration at some point in time

From the end of the barrel to the receiver measures 21 1/2 inches. Seems like the original barrel lengths were 29 & 23 inches. It may have been chopped, but doesn't look like it.

I have brass and bullets on the way for reloading.

I once owned a Steyr 8 x 56R short rifle. I agree the recoil was brutal. The ammo I had for it was head stamped 1938 and had the nazi war eagle.

I am about 30 minutes from finding out how my "new" rifle shoots.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took this rifle behind the shop this afternoon to see where it was hitting. Put up 2 targets at 50 yards. I had noticed the front sight was positioned way right of center, so I didn't have a clue where the bullets would strike. I took aim at the right hand target. The 1st 2 rounds hit low and on the right edge of the LEFT target. Pulled out the hammer and punch and started drifting the sight to the left.

The last 4 rounds I fired are fairly close to the center of the left target. Good enough for the 1st time I have shot it. I'll fine tune it later. 20200510_231954.jpg 20200510_185706.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
My son told me of an 8mm Mauser his uncle's dad, Bud, had. He said Bud didn't really care for it and wanted to trade it. My ears perked up right about here. He wanted to trade it for a handgun or a different rifle.

I hadn't seen it, but my son told me it was very clean and had a nice bore. He also mentioned someone had sporterised it, but had done a pretty fair job. Said it looked pretty good.

I gave my son a couple of handguns for Bud to look at and see if he wanted to trade. He didn't want to trade for the guns I sent, and said he wanted a rifle or a revolver. In the meantime, my son had let his uncle see the handguns I had sent. He told my son he would take one of the handguns and then trade something he had to Bud. So, that's how it all went down.

So all in all, I have the equivalent of about $250.00 in the rifle. It has a bunch of different markings I think are proof marks and marks from being rearsenaled. It has a 1917 DANZIG and crown on the receiver. It looks like an original military stock, but there's no hole in the stock for breaking down the bolt, and no sign of a repair where one once was.

I'm not much of a photographer View attachment 142596 View attachment 142598 View attachment 142600 View attachment 142602 View attachment 142604 View attachment 142606 View attachment 142596 View attachment 142598 View attachment 142600 View attachment 142602 View attachment 142604 View attachment 142606 , but here are a few pics.
Nice rifle. The barrels does not look cut down. That looks to be original front sight and soldered in proper place. Stock is all that has been cut. You can still get those stocks for them. Also the top hand guard and metal bands and springs. Nice deal.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the "likes". Do y'all know where to start lookin' for the correct furniture for this rifle? I must be gittin' old, After about ten rounds, I had to put the "shooter's friend on the buttstock.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the links. I'll check'em out.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I'm walking on eggshells on this one. I'm suggesting you make sure exactly what 98 Mauser that is. It says GEW98 but it does not look like that model. Check out that mark on the sight base. Also, the barrel length is not correct for a GEW98. Older rifles were reworked during the 1930's. I hate to see you put money into the wrong stock and fittings. Not trying to sharp shoot anybody.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gave it some thought and decided to leave it in the current stock. Like you said, I might not get the right one, for this particular rifle and it would just be wasted $$$. I am also considering getting mounts installed and scoping it. It should make a nice deer rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I did some reading and found that many of these were re arsenalled after WW1. One book Ii have on Mauser rifles explains that your rifle should be a Model 1917/36. That code on your rear sight S/42K is a German code. The sight is also a set up for the 7mm Mauser even though you have a 8x57. There have been other examples of these rifles coming through with the Spanish rear sight. Also the sight may have been installed in Spain or Germany when rearsenaled.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I may have one of these with my huge Mauser rifle collection. I would have to take some time looking. I have quite a few and curious to compare mine if I do have a similar one

·
Banned
744 Posts
Back many years ago I enjoyed having rifles built up on Mauser actions. We had two guys in town that did excellent work converting actions and installing barrels. I'm working up loads for the last one of these rifles currently. No joke, that rifle has been in the works forty years. My suggestion is to do some figuring on cost of converting. The last bolt handle I had welded own ran $100.00. On the flip side, I have sticker shock on the modern world.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
What I'm wondering about is if the barreled receiver is still original and not chopped?. If so, that makes it even nicer as you may have a little luck in locating some original furniture to bring it back to original configuration at some point in time

From the end of the barrel to the receiver measures 21 1/2 inches. Seems like the original barrel lengths were 29 & 23 inches. It may have been chopped, but doesn't look like it.

I have brass and bullets on the way for reloading.

I once owned a Steyr 8 x 56R short rifle. I agree the recoil was brutal. The ammo I had for it was head stamped 1938 and had the nazi war eagle.

I am about 30 minutes from finding out how my "new" rifle shoots.
That's awesome :) I actually picked up my Steyr m95 from a good friend before he packed up and moved to Mississippi recently around Oct - Nov and then one of the Guys from The High Road forum (THR) asked me for my address to send me something and right before Christmas a package showed up that had 6 or 7 boxes of the original Nazi ammo dated 1938 & 1939 head stamped with the Waffen and swastika's on emblock clips. I thought that was really cool and damn nice :) . For a little background I made the mistake of letting a pristine Swiss karabiner K31 7.5mm go and I was kicking myself in the proverbial but for it so I went on the hunt for another one to replace it and wound up finding the Steyr and scooped it up for $200 along with an 1898 Steyr Norwegian krag Jorgensen in 6.5 Swede for another $200 before I done any research and found out about the M95's providence, that was surprising.

Then again another thing that was surprising recently was my little brother showing up at my place outta the blue with a bunch of 7.62 nato & 44 brass, a bunch of miscellaneous gun cleaning supplies and what appears to be an all original unmolested surplus K98 stock that's still covered in Cosmo and looks like it was just pulled out of the crate complete with all the hardware including the sling swivels, trigger guard, the Box magazine and follower and the forestock barrel support snout. It looks like it has some interesting proof marks on it but I can't imagine why anyone wood call the barreled action out of the original furniture and toss it aside other than to possibly replace it with a pos plastic tactikool stock like a Tapco or ramline or some crap like that. Whatever the reason I'm glad my brother brought it to me and I'm hoping one of these days I'll find a barreled action that needs a new home for it.

I've never been a fan of polymer anything on firearms, however not too long ago I traded a Mak-90 AK for a low serial all surplus USGI Federal Ordinance M14 -SA in one of those fully adjustable archangel precision stocks but it uses the usgi 30 round magazines and not the proprietary Archangel magazines like the ones for the Mosin Nagant rifles. I do have to admit with all the adjustability you have on this Archangel stock and as good as it feels, it's not surprising that it actually schutz considerably better in the archangel then it does in the nice Surplus Walnut stock that I picked up for it which isn't surprising so I'll keep them both.

Reactions: ninwnc and neophyte
1 - 20 of 38 Posts