Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Back many years ago I enjoyed having rifles built up on Mauser actions. We had two guys in town that did excellent work converting actions and installing barrels. I'm working up loads for the last one of these rifles currently. No joke, that rifle has been in the works forty years. My suggestion is to do some figuring on cost of converting. The last bolt handle I had welded own ran $100.00. On the flip side, I have sticker shock on the modern world.
I have done over a dozen builds on Mauser receivers. Mostly large ring actions but did two small ring at least. I have never heated and forged a bolt handle or had any done. I replaced all of mine. I cut the straight or curved mauser bolt handles off with a Dremel tool and cutting wheels. I welded new bolts on myself. I still have a few Remington 700 bolts that are new and a few other styles. You can buy these fairly cheap from Midway USA, Gun Parts Corp. or Brownell's. Also if you don't install iron sights and choose to drill and put bases for a scope then you need the low scope safeties. They sell them also. I used to use only Buehler or similar brands.

·
Banned
744 Posts
The most recent bolt handle job was on a 98 Mauser Banner action. Trying to attach a bolt handle is way above my pay grade. I

Years ago we got the earthly remains of a high grade German made Mauser full stock sporter. So much heat had been applied to the bolt the entire area was distorted. I had an extra bolt that went into putting that rifle right. It pays to keep eyes open for bits and pieces used to build up rifles.

The action in the avatar came from a war bring back that had been butchered by Bubba. It matched but the bore was pitted and stock cut back. The action, byf43, made into a nice sporter. That bolt handle was lowered by a local gunsmith. He also made the button release on the floor plate.

Incidentally, I will not grind the receiver bridge under any circumstances. Leupold makes bases that do not require such desecration. I won't salvage an action unless the rifle has really been done a number. I already had that converted action but there was a $1000.00 dollars worth of work to get the rifle finished. That's the last built up rifle for me. The got plenty of perfectly good rifles down at Sportsman's Warehouse.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Need some enbloc clips for your 8x56R Steyr? I got about 20 of'em. Some have a little surface rust, but are completely serviceable.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
The most recent bolt handle job was on a 98 Mauser Banner action. Trying to attach a bolt handle is way above my pay grade. I

Years ago we got the earthly remains of a high grade German made Mauser full stock sporter. So much heat had been applied to the bolt the entire area was distorted. I had an extra bolt that went into putting that rifle right. It pays to keep eyes open for bits and pieces used to build up rifles.

The action in the avatar came from a war bring back that had been butchered by Bubba. It matched but the bore was pitted and stock cut back. The action, byf43, made into a nice sporter. That bolt handle was lowered by a local gunsmith. He also made the button release on the floor plate.

Incidentally, I will not grind the receiver bridge under any circumstances. Leupold makes bases that do not require such desecration. I won't salvage an action unless the rifle has really been done a number. I already had that converted action but there was a $1000.00 dollars worth of work to get the rifle finished. That's the last built up rifle for me. The got plenty of perfectly good rifles down at Sportsman's Warehouse.
Its very costly to get a gunsmith to do any of the work. I did all of mine myself and still cost me well over $600 each rifle after buying barrel, stock, low scope safety, bases and scope. My reason as I posted on here before is personal satisfaction from my own work and build. Also its a one of a kind rifle. Not a store bought mass produced rifle. Also built to what exactly what I like from barrel to stock to scope. I have also removed all the charging humps from my receivers. I dont care for one piece scope bases that fit over hump. I have always used two piece bases. I primarily only built to make these rifles for me and my sons. Its just an expensive hobby but fun.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Its just an expensive hobby but fun.
Mauser Sporters: It's all about what you want. If there is no personal satisfaction something is amiss. Much of the traditional shooting values have gone by the wayside in my lifetime. There is a personal connection lost buying firearms in the big box. Sound nuts but, I'm fairly sure you understand what that's about.

I didn't know of two piece mounts until the latter stages of building the avatar rifle. if you notice the current Leupold bases on the avatar are not one piece. I know what you are talking about having a one piece base on one of my unmodified Mauser rifles. My receiver rings will remain un-ground. On an action with thumb slot it just don't look right to me for the hump to be gone. YMMV

I have Lyman 48's on several of my rifles. How many of these latter day gunsmiths know how to mount a receiver sight with correct height front sight? If you know one, bets are he will have gray hair.

I go along with you fully on getting what you want in a rifle. At this point on a fixed income it's necessary to be mindful of cost when you don't have any $. Also, could you share some pictures?

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Mauser Sporters: It's all about what you want. If there is no personal satisfaction something is amiss. Much of the traditional shooting values have gone by the wayside in my lifetime. There is a personal connection lost buying firearms in the big box. Sound nuts but, I'm fairly sure you understand what that's about.

I didn't know of two piece mounts until the latter stages of building the avatar rifle. if you notice the current Leupold bases on the avatar are not one piece. I know what you are talking about having a one piece base on one of my unmodified Mauser rifles. My receiver rings will remain un-ground. On an action with thumb slot it just don't look right to me for the hump to be gone. YMMV

I have Lyman 48's on several of my rifles. How many of these latter day gunsmiths know how to mount a receiver sight with correct height front sight? If you know one, bets are he will have gray hair.

I go along with you fully on getting what you want in a rifle. At this point on a fixed income it's necessary to be mindful of cost when you don't have any $. Also, could you share some pictures?
I dont have access to take pics at this time. I did ask my son to take a few quick pics with his tablet. I dug in one of my safes and these are the first two rifles I came across. One is a Springfield O3A3 I built from just the receiver I bought. New barrel, bolt handle and drilled and tapped etc.. Also a Boyds wood stock I finished. Also Brownell's ceramikote finish. The camo one is A large ring Mauser receiver I built on. Also a welded on bolt and a 3006 barrel from Midway USA. The stock is Composite and primered and painted. I used real leaves for stencil patterns. Also a Nikon scope which was new I did the same camo job on.
image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
A little late to this thread. I too have built a number of Mausers over the last 20 years as well as a few Springfield 03A3's. I've started another recently and It will probably be my last. I'll try to get a few pics later. It seems to be a dying hobby

·
Banned
744 Posts
It's tough and expensive. What I'm working on is a project rifle. That's one the unknown person had started and not finished. You can find these things with usable wood and sometimes good parts. It's a way to get partially into building a gun. This is a 03A3 that had been started probably years back. GI barrel is turned down.

20200521_100248.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
It's tough and expensive. What I'm working on is a project rifle. That's one the unknown person had started and not finished. You can find these things with usable wood and sometimes good parts. It's a way to get partially into building a gun. This is a 03A3 that had been started probably years back. GI barrel is turned down.

View attachment 143138
Man I like that pattern on the stock.

·
Banned
744 Posts
That's a nice piece of wood. The rifle has a Timney trigger and low safety. Had it checked out and the headspace is OK.

One of the things you see are rifles with old Herter's stocks that have not been completed. Those thing looked like a railroad tie. Just carve away all the wood that does not look like a nice stock.

I got another project that I did not finish. It's a 308 Norma Magnum built on an FN 98 military action. The barrel was made in Germany. I'm' going to put that out at the next trade day. Action and barrel work was done McGowen many years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
That's a nice piece of wood. The rifle has a Timney trigger and low safety. Had it checked out and the headspace is OK.

One of the things you see are rifles with old Herter's stocks that have not been completed. Those thing looked like a railroad tie. Just carve away all the wood that does not look like a nice stock.

I got another project that I did not finish. It's a 308 Norma Magnum built on an FN 98 military action. The barrel was made in Germany. I'm' going to put that out at the next trade day. Action and barrel work was done McGowen many years ago.
Very Nice. I have mostly used Timney triggers on all my builds. I think they are 2-4 lbs. Adjustable's. I have also used a few others like Jaeger and another brand. The Mcgowen did nice gunsmithing work also.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A while back I picked up a GEW 98. I decided not to go in search of original furniture for it. So, I took it to a gunsmith, and had him to drill and tap it, install mounts and a scope. He also took it to a guy and had the bolt handle reworked and then he installed a lower safety.

I had taken a couple of shotguns that needed repair, to him at the same time. He called me today and told me they were all ready. I picked'em up and brought'em home.

The cost on the Mauser was $189 +change. Not too bad for all he did.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks, I thought it looked good too. But it needs to be zeroed. DARN ! I got'ta go to the rifle range? Oh well. If I have to, I guess I will !<G>

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Nice, not long ago my little brothers showed up over here with a really nice Gew 98 stock, complete with the trigger guard magazine mag follower and Barrel snout on it. Now I just need to find me a barreled receiver to drop in it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts