Gewer 88

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by David N, Sep 6, 2002.

1. David N

David N Guest

I realize that this is a forum for the 98k but I thought I would start asking here first. I have an opportunity to purchase a GWR 88 as an addition to my Mauser collection from a local dealer as a private sale. I have no idea what this rifle sells for. I would also like to know more about this rifle. It has Spandau and 1890 stamped on the ring. I would assume that it was made in 1890. However it also has what would appear to be a date stamp on the bottom of the magazine of "1914". Was this something modified for WW1?
    I believe it is chambered in 8mm Mannlicher. Unfortunately the stock is broken off just behind the receiver. It can probably be repaired but I would prefer to replace it. I checked with GunParts but they list the stock as being out of stock. If anyone can giive me any more information about this rifle or direct me to a site I would be eternally grateful. Does anyone, bychance, have an old stock for it laying around?:D

2. geberl

geberl Guest

M1888/14

Yes it has been arsenal modified for mauser clip use, sights recalibrated, chamber opened up for M05 cartride, and floorplate modification. The rifle is chambered for the 8mm mauser cartridge but if you fire factory 8mm mauser ammunition in it, then it will blow up in your hands. The modern 8mm mauser ammunition uses a .323" diameter bullet and is loaded to over 45,000 Psi. The 8mm mauser ammunition that your rifle was designed to fire used a .318" diameter bullet that was loaded to 30,000 PSI MAX. If you purchase this rifle you would need to buy 8x57J reloading dies ($125) and .318" bullets ($40 for 50). I can purchase these rifles from Springfield Sporters in Penn Run Pennsylvania for $65 without the stocks, similar to what you have found.

3. David N

David N Guest

Thank you for the response. Since I posted my question I have been able to research this rifle a bit more thoroughly. I have since learnd that this rifle will be nothing more than a wall hanger. in addition I have located a stock in so-so condition for about $20. I really do like this rifle and will purchase it. Thanks again for you help and insight with this weapon.:D