close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ghille suit

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Apr 11, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Any one ever build one? I am in the process of building a "kit" ghille suit(thats probably spelled wrong). It isn't the fastest moving project, thats for sure. I am just curious about others attempts/results on build a suit. Those squirrels won't know what hit 'em when I get that thing finished.;) If anything else, it is a topic I have never seen discussed here before. Looking for tips, do's/don'ts, or pictures. Thanks

-Tim

2. I realize I'm not a worldly traveler or anything, but I have NO idea what you're talking about...lol....nope.

3. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    See the picture of the soldier under my screen name. See the fuzzy, grassy stuff (shreaded burlap) that is covering him, that is a ghille suit. The outfit that snipers wear, that looks like grass, hair, hay, and so on. The term comes from Scotish(I think) land owners that would dress up in these suits to hide and then catch poachers tresspassing/poaching on their land. I'll try and find a picture......

-Tim

4. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Here is the best example I could find on short notice. Also I forgot to mention, that when you wear one of these, you stuff it full of natural vegetation so you can't be seen from ten feet away. Hope this explains what a ghille suit is....:)

-Tim

5. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Basically you want to look like camo covered shag carpet with some leaves on it.....You could walk right on it cause it wouldn't stand out.....Sorry for posting again but the shag carpet thing popped into my head, thought you might get a kick out of that...

-Tim

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Back in the dark ages..1982 or was it 1892 (at my age who knows) :) When I was in STA 1/8 we made ours by turning BDUs (army term but better understood) insideout...then sewed& glued tent canvas to the front....Marine Corps Snipers shoot prone and crawl alot...then takeing strips of burlap, in alternating colors, glued them to the sides and back in an upside down J fashion...otherwise they lay flat.. overlappeing eachother like roofing shingles.then shreded some peices to break up the patern...this is vary time consumeing. I guess you could skip the canvans on the front and put burlap stips instead if you want to walk and not crawl...the reason for the BDUs inside out is so the pockets dont snag and you can still use them somewhat....rember that you need to match your area...not too many green bushes in the city or desert... hope this helps...feel free to e-mail me if needed.... Oh dont smoke..store the suit around gas paint purfume ect....let it age so it blocks your scent.....

7. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

8. Seen those suits many times in photos and movies...never knew what they were called. I gots me anuder edukatiun....yepper, lol.

9. You might also want to try this on the military veterans and police forum room. There may be a former sniper or two who can help you out. We used to operate with some snipers but I have never made a suit, as I remember each sniper makes his own suit individually.

10. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Just match your local fawna as best you can, but don't over do it, you don't want to look like a piece of carpet out for a walk or laying in a field. As long as your outline is broken up you should be OK. When you make your lid, make sure there is enough space between the overhang and your eyes. If you can walk or crawl without getting your material in your eyes you should be able to aquire your scope and target and get into position easily enough.

Hope this helps.

11. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I made mine out of camo coveralls. I used strips of camo burlap from Wally-World found I the sporting goods section. Worked great and had alot of fun. About gave the local Power Co. meter reader a heart attack stood in front of a hedge row in daylight. Reached out and grabbed his arm when he read the meter. Laughed my backside off not the smartest thing to do but I was 20 and it was funny then

12. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Made one out of jute tied on 1"x1" net then attached it to my bdu's just the back and sides works great but HOT!

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, they can get very hot. If you turn a set of BDU's into a Ghille suit, do yourself a favor and cut a 6" square out of the back of the shirt. Take some regular sceen for a screen door, and glue/sew it in place over the cutout. Do the same for your cover (hat). Cut out a portion of the top, and put some screen there, too. It's simple, and it makes it a few degrees cooler