Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of folks these days contact me about gun recommendations because of my prior work and gun training. As always I am happy to suggest what might fit them. Most have one or two guns in the home now, but want to add a second gun and most want a 9mm. Fair enough but decent guns at a low price have thinned out. So, I am always looking for decent guns to recommend. $1,200 Sigs are way too much for most of them. Glocks are not the best choice as many have kids in the home or grand kids and and there is zero reason to not recommend a gun with an external safety for people with toddlers in the house. Please do not waste your time trashing that statement unless you have investigated cases where 4 year old kids have shot their siblings. Things happen. Small gun safes, padlocks, even those gosh awful trigger blockers on guns can save kids lives. We are trying to find a solution to the mother and grandmother who want and need to be armed when we are not there or when we died. And frankly their risk is greater than what men face.

Mothers are leaving their Glocks and tiny 380s in purses when 14 year old and 4 year olds find them when they are left on a table for 30 seconds, or forgotten and found 3 days later. They have a need to be armed and limited time and little or no money for training lessons.. Our task is finding a safe compromise.

For that reason, I like the DA/SA guns for when kids sometimes are in the home. The compromise is that long trigger pull, a safety/decocker that kids have a hard time figuring out. The choice is to leave an empty chamber or have no mag in the gun at all.

So, I am looking at DA/SA clones. I ran across this gun the Girson which take the 3rd generation SW magazine. Some reviews say they are a Berretta clone like their Regard, others say they are a CZ 75. Both are fine guns as are the 3rd generation SWs.

Anybody have any actual experience with these guns?. All the reviews rate them well. Most Turkish guns these day rate well with the top guns both in design and quality/ Comments?

1619745006204.png

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
No personal experience myself.

A couple gun stores locally that I have a lot of confidence in sell quite a few of the Girsan branded firearms and seem to have no qualms about recommending them to customers. To me it's a good recommendation when a store that is also full of the uber expensive boutique brands and a huge inventory of highly collectible items is also actively promoting some very affordable brands that they probably make very little profit on. (at least when the marketplace wasn't so upside down)

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I have not owned one of those, but have had possession of other guns that EAA Imports. Have thought them all to be reliable and of good value. I trust EAA to be quality conscious.
The poly witness in 9mm is an excellent gun imported by them, same format and about the same price. I would trust one of those with my families lives.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lots of folks these days contact me about gun recommendations because of my prior work and gun training. As always I am happy to suggest what might fit them. Most have one or two guns in the home now, but want to add a second gun and most want a 9mm. Fair enough but decent guns at a low price have thinned out. So, I am always looking for decent guns to recommend. $1,200 Sigs are way too much for most of them. Glocks are not the best choice as many have kids in the home or grand kids and and there is zero reason to not recommend a gun with an external safety for people with toddlers in the house. Please do not waste your time trashing that statement unless you have investigated cases where 4 year old kids have shot their siblings. Things happen. Small gun safes, padlocks, even those gosh awful trigger blockers on guns can save kids lives. We are trying to find a solution to the mother and grandmother who want and need to be armed when we are not there or when we died. And frankly their risk is greater than what men face.

Mothers are leaving their Glocks and tiny 380s in purses when 14 year old and 4 year olds find them when they are left on a table for 30 seconds, or forgotten and found 3 days later. They have a need to be armed and limited time and little or no money for training lessons.. Our task is finding a safe compromise.

For that reason, I like the DA/SA guns for when kids sometimes are in the home. The compromise is that long trigger pull, a safety/decocker that kids have a hard time figuring out. The choice is to leave an empty chamber or have no mag in the gun at all.

So, I am looking at DA/SA clones. I ran across this gun the Girson which take the 3rd generation SW magazine. Some reviews say they are a Berretta clone like their Regard, others say they are a CZ 75. Both are fine guns as are the 3rd generation SWs.

Anybody have any actual experience with these guns?. All the reviews rate them well. Most Turkish guns these day rate well with the top guns both in design and quality/ Comments?

View attachment 162790
I've been looking for a Girson MC 14 but no luck. If you're interested in clones I have a Canik C-100 in 9mm that is a twin to a CZ 75 compact. It is Turkish made and a great pistol. There are virtually no machining marks on this gun and it was dead on out of the box. It's my EDC. I'm not selling it, I just want to let you know about a really great clone for a good price.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not owned one of those, but have had possession of other guns that EAA Imports. Have thought them all to be reliable and of good value. I trust EAA to be quality conscious.
The poly witness in 9mm is an excellent gun imported by them, same format and about the same price. I would trust one of those with my families lives.
We have one of those Tangfolia Polymer 9mms in the family. Love that gun. Feels like tthe CZ it copies, I would take it anywhere. My buddy has the same gun in steel, 10mm. They are the most highly sought after 10mm on the planet, you will not find one. I have been on the wait list of several major suppliers for 3-4 years and have never got a notice. If the Girson is that good we are in luck.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking for a Girson MC 14 but no luck. If you're interested in clones I have a Canik C-100 in 9mm that is a twin to a CZ 75 compact. It is Turkish made and a great pistol. There are virtually no machining marks on this gun and it was dead on out of the box. It's my EDC. I'm not selling it, I just want to let you know about a really great clone for a good price.
As per the other reply I am not looking for myself only to recommend to others but want to hear from folks I trust on the gun. If I can find a steel copy of the Witness also a CZ clone, in 10mm, I will buy it for myself.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Well not to get you away from your origional subject too far.
For a small purse gun, then there is the Bersa Thunder cc Crimpson Trace edition.
So Many safeties it will make you sick. LOL
Got one for my wife,It is a little bit recoilish for a 380 but... she can handle it well. With her arthritice, and mechanical ineptness, that is saying a lot.
Was kinda quirky for the first 50 rounds. But once I got it cleaned after its first range day it has ran like a clock.

But ye I think if it is imported by EAA then it would probably be worth buying and running thru its courses.Just to see. Most of their stuff goes up in value after its initial listing. So you could probably even make a couple bucks after you are done with it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well not to get you away from your origional subject too far.
For a small purse gun, then there is the Bersa Thunder cc Crimpson Trace edition.
So Many safeties it will make you sick. LOL
Got one for my wife,It is a little bit recoilish for a 380 but... she can handle it well. With her arthritice, and mechanical ineptness, that is saying a lot.
Was kinda quirky for the first 50 rounds. But once I got it cleaned after its first range day it has ran like a clock.

But ye I think if it is imported by EAA then it would probably be worth buying and running thru its courses.Just to see. Most of their stuff goes up in value after its initial listing. So you could probably even make a couple bucks after you are done with it.
You might see my comment on the PPKs yesterday. I am big on the Bersa, better shooter than my PPKs which I love, easier to pull back also. My brother had one until he passed now his daughter keeps it for her home gun. Love em and I do recommend them .Lately I have trained 2 family members on the SW Shield EZ in 380. But now am giving recommendations on the 9mms instead of the 380 for the same people wanting a 9mm. 380 ammo is nuts to find. Post #4 at The Walther PPK

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Great thread, missed it somehow.

I load my own practice 380, but ran out of Small Pistol primers.
It is just impossible to get small pistol primers from a trusted source now a days.
So I have been paying the man and ordering 380 cartriges straight from Federal.
Sometimes I can not get it from them, or at least soon, or as much as I like from them.
When I can not get 380.
I find another caliber that takes small pistol primers, and is listed for less. I have ordered those. Tore them down, punched out the primers and loaded them up in 380 brass.
Then I put the leftover bullets and brass for sale. Or just put them in my reloading stash, if they are for a caliber I use.
380 is both my wife's and my primary defense round, so have to keep proficiant....
Desperate means call for desperate measures, as they say.
But I can not see the average person doing that to keep shooting. But then who said I was average, or normal for that mater. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great thread, missed it somehow.

I load my own practice 380, but ran out of Small Pistol primers.
It is just impossible to get small pistol primers from a trusted source now a days.
So I have been paying the man and ordering 380 cartriges straight from Federal.
Sometimes I can not get it from them, or at least soon, or as much as I like from them.
When I can not get 380.
I find another caliber that takes small pistol primers, and is listed for less. I have ordered those. Tore them down, punched out the primers and loaded them up in 380 brass.
Then I put the leftover bullets and brass for sale. Or just put them in my reloading stash, if they are for a caliber I use.
380 is both my wife's and my primary defense round, so have to keep proficiant....
Desperate means call for desperate measures, as they say.
But I can not see the average person doing that to keep shooting. But then who said I was average, or normal for that mater. :)
You sure are going through a bunch of work. I have a stash of 380 but also have family I load for plus the wife and I have them and I am gifting my grandson my Glock 42 so there are 5 people around here who need them. I qot 10 boxes last summer and recently got 2 boxes at Bass Pro so a total of 12 boxes in the last 15 months or so, but they have otherwise disappeared. Bought the dies and 500 bullets from Natchez and 100 cases, but like you primers is the problem. I am saving my remaining small primers just for the 380 and probably have about 300 left. Of course as they fire the others I get the cases back but with about 300 primers and bullets left, I will eventually run dry until I can score primers. Small pistol primers are really my only reloading problem. I also reload 38 special, 38 super, and 357 both rifle and pistol so I have lots of places for those small pistol primers that I do not have. I even reload the 400 Corbon with small magnum primers, but can use small rifle for them, except I am getting low on them also.

When I take them to shoot I make them shoot about 5 to 1 22s instead of 380, got to make them last. IN fact, I have told both daughter and sister that each range session needs to stop at 25 rounds of 380. Fortunately I have lots of 22 and they like to shoot the suppressed guns. The fact that you need no hearing protection really makes the 22s more fun. More casual actually

Most of us never thought components would get this bad.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I just got deep into reloading a couple years ago, so primer shortage never accorded to me.
I could kick myself in the butt, as I had a chance to buy a brick of 5000 CCI SPP's for $120, at a gun show, about a week before this Covid thing was announced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts