Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CCRKBA Blasts Daley for Giving Cops Machine Guns but Keeping Citizens Disarmed.....

BELLEVUE, Wash., April 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -

Anti-gun Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has taken one more step toward turning his city into a police state by planning to give police fully automatic M4 carbines, while still fighting to block the gun rights of citizens not only in Chicago but throughout Illinois, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said today.

CCRKBA Blasts Daley for Giving Cops Machine Guns but Keeping Citizens Disarmed=

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,992 Posts
If this is indeed true, what possible use would cops have with full auto weapons ? Especially in an urban setting where missing could be a big deal. I can't imagine a police chief authorizing the use of automatic weapons in a city (this means I'm a bit skeptical). Unless I'm mistaken, CHI PD's pistols are even DAO. ?

For use other than in a combat (i.e. wartime) situation, I know not of what advantage (other than maybe fun at the range) a full auto rifle has over a semi-auto rifle.

Anyway.......herr Dailey is certainly no problem solver when it comes to crime or liberty.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this is indeed true, what possible use would cops have with full auto weapons ?
Usually, in my experiences... most departments have automatic weapons are already in use Special Weapons and Tactics (S.W.A.T.) or Undercover-Narcotics. To be fair... I wonder if this reporter should have dug deeper in reporting this issue. May be the updating to newer type weapons and discarding of the old, for these units? I can't imagine this being authorized for regular street calls, and patrol car useages? However with Daly at the helm, anything is possible.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,992 Posts
Yeah --seems like too great a chance of hitting something you didn't want to, but no one should trust that guy--look at what he did overnight to Meigs field (amongst many other things).

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
My son and I argue about the advantages And negatives of auto-weapons. He likes the three round burst that he has the ability to shift to on his military weapon. I have argued that it's a waste of ammo, and he gives me grief about being a bench shooter. Last deer season, I proved to him that one shot is all i need to put the target down, and he looked at me kinda funny, and complemented me for the shot. It's a given that deer don't shoot back, but he knows that I've been there, and I explained that, to me the first shot is the one that counts. For once, he got thoughtful, and agreed. In an urban environment, the police are going to have problems with strays, if they start using full-auto weapons. That is my humble opinion. And mayor daly is an idiot, and that is also my opinion!

·
Registered
137 Posts
thats bull
+1

I'm just curious - why would a police force need full auto machineguns? I know I want a few for fun, but I can't think of a time when the cops would really need to spray lead like that, especially in the urban environs most inhabit in the course of their duties. Stray rounds sound like a big possibility here. And then there's the added cost of the weapons and the paperwork and specialty stuff that goes along with them.

Even as the son of a retired LEO, I don't get why police are trusted more with guns than the everyday citizen. I remember Craig Peyer (California Highway Patrol) who was convicted of a murder committed while on duty and another CHP officer who committed suicide with their issued sidearm. If I remember correctly, it was a police officer who committed the only crime since the NFA was enacted back in 1934 with a legally owned and registered automatic weapon when he used his MAC-10 to kill an informant.

Yes, I'm actually a COP lover. I get along well with them and will say that the vast majority of police are great people who do a very dangerous (physically and litigiously) job. At the same time, they're people just like you and me and we should all be on a level playing field when it comes to what we can own and use to defend ourselves and others.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
i dont live in chicago for a reason

one reason i kinda like mayor shirley franklin...not only is she the only non-corrupt mayor we have had in a while, but she doesnt push bs legislation like this really

·
Premium Member
18,205 Posts
Chicagos south side has been a combat zone for years. Police travel in pairs from what I hear, due to the criminal element living there. Give'em M-79's also.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
+1
I'm just curious - why would a police force need full auto machineguns? I know I want a few for fun, but I can't think of a time when the cops would really need to spray lead like that, especially in the urban environs most inhabit in the course of their duties. Stray rounds sound like a big possibility here. And then there's the added cost of the weapons and the paperwork and specialty stuff that goes along with them.
Even as the son of a retired LEO, I don't get why police are trusted more with guns than the everyday citizen. I remember Craig Peyer (California Highway Patrol) who was convicted of a murder committed while on duty and another CHP officer who committed suicide with their issued sidearm. If I remember correctly, it was a police officer who committed the only crime since the NFA was enacted back in 1934 with a legally owned and registered automatic weapon when he used his MAC-10 to kill an informant.
Yes, I'm actually a COP lover. I get along well with them and will say that the vast majority of police are great people who do a very dangerous (physically and litigiously) job. At the same time, they're people just like you and me and we should all be on a level playing field when it comes to what we can own and use to defend ourselves and others.
Hummmm,maybe he knows something we don't?:bigeyes:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Might as well have cities with their own pvt armies if they are gonna do that.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,992 Posts
Might as well have cities with their own pvt armies if they are gonna do that.
uhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

thought that's what they had up there in Chi Town.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
+1

I agree with you that ALL citizens should have the right to carry firearms and protect themselves. I have absolutely no problem with civilians who carry a firearm LEGALLY to defend themselves. In today's society you can never be to careful. If I offend anyone with what I am about to say next I apologize ahead of time. What you have to remember is that LEOs have to go through extensive and rigorous training to do what we do. In my state its 600+ hours. Although I have not read the story which this thread refers to, I highly doubt that these weapons will be used in a spray and pray manner. Officer's undergo intensive training in the use of weapons and deadly force. Also many of the criminals on the street have weapons with full auto capabilities as well. I appreciate the earlier comment about first shot kill vs. mulitple rounds. I too hunt avidly and it is very important to me to kill the animal with one shot, so as not to cause suffering. But when you are entering an area where you will possible be shot at, it is very nice put be able to pull the trigger once, have three bullets go to the target, and not have to worry anymore. I also agree that LEOs are humans too. We make mistakes. I would just remind you that instances such as the ones quoted above, are the exceptions, not the rule.

·
Registered
137 Posts
jtuck - great post!

My apologies if I didn't make it clear, I know that the problems I posted are the exceptions, not the rule.

Something else that should be said here, I think, is that many of the civilians who would like to own and carry any sort firearm are either retired LEO or military. I think that it's a travesty that Chicago would discriminate against them in this manner. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
well....i think chicago citizens should be allowed more firearms rights obviously, but with 30+ shootings in a weekend i can understand the LEOs wanting more firepower thats for sure. I don't know if full auto is necessary, maybe 3 rnd burst, i believe that or semi auto would be much more practical and accurate. Not to mention there would not be as much worry of hitting innocent bystanders....

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Gawd I am gonna date myself here, but a couple decades back (sigh, in my youth) an Uncle was a Sherriffs Depty in Southern Oklahoma, he told me the state had just started issuing hipowered semi-auto rifles to ALL the State Troopers, because a Trooper had been killed on the open highway by a perp with a rifle that kept him beyond the range of the officers sidearm or shotgun. Made sense to me then and now. But this full auto idea seems a little too much for the average patrol officer to need. And the officer is responsible for every round fired.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,992 Posts
I agree EZ--it's not so much the full auto capability itself but potentially encouraging a burst and pray type of mentality with marginally or unaimed rounds in an urban setting. All of us are responsible for the rounds we fire. Rifle bullets carry a fair bit of energy. Can't see personally the advantage of burst or full auto over semi in a law enforcement scenario, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I agree EZ--it's not so much the full auto capability itself but potentially encouraging a burst and pray type of mentality with marginally or unaimed rounds in an urban setting. All of us are responsible for the rounds we fire. Rifle bullets carry a fair bit of energy. Can't see personally the advantage of burst or full auto over semi in a law enforcement scenario, but I might be wrong.
i think alot of it has to deal with the mayors understanding of firearms and ballistics

it looks meaner so its better, you know the good ol weapons grading based on aesthetic appeal

im thinking machine guns+already trigger happy cops is a bad idea, i mean honestly most cops arent killed in a straight out gun-fight, its when they pull some ass over and they get the drop on the police, its unfortunate but it happens all to often

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
well stale which would make you wet yer pants first staring down the twin barrels of an ol SxS 10 gauge, or the sissified appearence of a mac-10? Which one is meaner?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts