Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a back up pistol for deer bear hog and coyote and i am stuck between the glock 20 or the 22 the main issues would be the grip size and the recoil.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I considered the glock 22 a few years back for the same purpose, and had a few rental sessions at the local range. I did not have issues with the grip frame and found it to be quite controlable with full power 10mm ammo, but I have pretty average sized hands and have done a fair amount of shooting with short barrled 44 mag rervolvers. My advice would be to find a range that rents both and see what works best for you. Another issue with the 10mm in general is the fact that most factory ammo is now loaded at 40. S&W velocities, so unless you handload it may be difficult to get the performance you need out of it. Also If you are hunting in big bear country
no handgun is really a good choice in stopping a charging bear, but I would feel safer
with a sturdy fixed sight revolver in 44 mag on my hip in case my primary weapon failed or was not at hand. I think the 10mm is great for things like an angry hog or mountain lion, and is great for 2 legged threats as well. I ended up sticking with the revolvers I had for that role and spent the money on ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts