Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Glock 26 (aka "baby-glock") in 9mm for personal protection. The problem is that the recoil is pretty heavy for a 9mm (124gr Golden Saber +P), or so it seems to me.

Is the recoil heavy because the gun is so small and light? (1.24 lbs unloaded). Will switching to regular, non +P ammo show a worthwhile decrease in recoil? I specifically didn't go with a .40 or .357 glock b/c I heard the recoil is harsher in those calibers so I'm a little surprised by the 9mm :34:.

My other question is would it be better just to switch from the sub-compact G26 to the compact G19 in terms of less recoil b/c the G19 is longer/heavier?

My last question, the only other gun I'm considering is an HK P2000SK 9mm, is that a better gun for personal protection? (nevermind the huge price difference)

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm hoping someone will take the time to school this newb so I can get the right ammo/gun combo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally I've never considered a 9mm to have a whole lot of recoil unless I was shooting something out of a tiny polymer gun like a Kel-Tec P11. Then the recoil in such a light gun made it a bit jumpy but otherwise the 9mm isn't very bad. Now I haven't shot the Glock 26 personally so I can't tell you at all how it shoots. What I can say is that I've shot HK USPs in the 9mm, 40SW and .45ACP. I've also only ever shot a Glock 17, Glock 19 and a Glock 22.

Of those, I found that the Glock 19 and the 17 had about the same amount of recoil. The 22 had a little more but nothing that would really affect my shooting. As for the HKs, I really like the USP platform.

I can tell you this about ammo though. If you're shooting +p or +p+ ammo then you're going to get more recoil. Its just a given. Heavier bullet, larger powder charge, stronger recoil.

My question to you is did you research your gun choice before you purchased it? In my experience, if you find a gun store with a range, you can rent a variety of firearms to shoot on the range to get the feel for them. Before you buy anything else, especially something pricey, please go shoot a few guns. Find out what works best for you. If you're looking for a CCW gun, make sure you find one that fits you comfortably and is in a caliber you can shoot comfortably. Put a few boxes of ammo through it and see if its something you can put lots of ammo through it without too much discomfort. The reason for this is if its for personal defense, if you're going to carry it, you'll need to get licensed and while my state doesn't allow CCW licenses, I know from the courses in other states, it'll require some shooting. You will also need to practice for this, and for the purpose of keeping your shooting skills with this gun sharp and effective. That means a lot of shooting and often too if you want to be able to really use this gun for personal defense. Also practice with different ammo to see what you can shoot really well with.

Mainly, remember this... A .380 will do a good job for protection if you put rounds in the right places... same with a 9mm luger, 40 SW, 45acp, .357 Sig or Mag etc. The key is to practice and make sure you're proficient with the gun. The last thing that you want is to have a gun/ammo combo that is too much gun for you. You shouldn't be shooting a gun with ammo that you're going to be afraid to shoot. Should you ever have to use your gun for defense, that should be the last worry to be in your head.

My 2c. Sammoh

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
+1 to Sammoh's post.

I own a GLOCK 27 in .40S&W for carry. I went to my local range and tried out what they had. I started with .45ACP but didn't like the recoil or the muzzle blast (except out of the higher-end 1911's; no problem at all there) and then moved down to .40S&W.

I had very little problem with recoil or muzzle blast with it so stopped there and tried out different guns they had. I tried the G22, G23, HK USP, Sig P226, the M&P and I think a couple others before deciding on the G27 since I actually shot best with it, aimed best naturally with it, and it didn't have too much recoil for me. Plus, it was suggested to me by some officers at the range that were practicing night-time sniping (they were local PD's, Sheriff's and State Patrol) and works best for me for CC and OC.

I now Conceal and Open Carry it in my Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster with no problems.

You just need to go rent some guns and try out a few different calibers. Decide on caliber first, then on model in that caliber. The best carry gun for you is the one you're most comfortable with and can become most capable with.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Get wider experience

Reduce you load to the standard velocity 115 grain bullet for the 9mm. This will help. Also, if possible, fire other guns in different calibers or at least observe other people firing other guns. If you make a decision to change guns make the decision only after taking time to evaluate other guns for recoil as well as "fit" - that best meeting of size, weight, pointability, trigger pull, etc. for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all the information.

My problem is, however, that the only gun range in my area doesn't rent anything but full-size pistols and revolvers, no compacts or sub compacts, so I have no way of testing any concelable guns before I buy them. I understand that different calibers and different weights will make a difference, and so will the "fit" of the gun in my hand, but I don't have the luxury of doing any real experimentation before buying.

I was firing Winchester 115-gr standard pressure rounds before I switched to the Golden Saber 124-gr +p and the Winchester had harsher and less consistent recoil, which is why I switched. I guess I will have to buy some different 115-gr loads to see if there is a better load out there, which I am guessing there is.

The only question left unanswered for me is whether a larger gun firing the same bullet will have less harsh recoil by virtue of it simply having more mass/longer slide? I am guessing it will but can anyone verify this for me? If so, then switching to a lighter, standard pressure bullet, in a heavier gun will surely at least reduce the recoil to a more manageable level. Until then, I guess I'm off to find a good 115-gr load. Too bad Remington doesn't make Golden Saber in 115-gr, I really liked the consistency of the Sabers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If its for personal protection don't use 115gr ammo in it. For personal protection you want penetration. Heavier bullets (124- 147gr) give you the penetration you need.

Have you tried installing an extension on the magazine to give your pinky finger a place to rest? This might help.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If its for personal protection don't use 115gr ammo in it. For personal protection you want penetration. Heavier bullets (124- 147gr) give you the penetration you need.

Have you tried installing an extension on the magazine to give your pinky finger a place to rest? This might help.
+1!
I forgot to mention that I use a Pearce +1 magazine grip extension and it makes a mountain of difference in how it shoots. That also gives me that extra round and doesn't really decrease the concealability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts