Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Advantage Arms, Inc. .22 lr conversion kit for my GLOCK 23. It's the L.E. 19-23 kit (fits 19-23-25-32). It came with one mag and everything for cleaning. Also I got (I think) a deal on 3 additional mags. The mag that came with the kit is plastic with metal lips, can not be disassenbled, of the additional 3 one is a Advantage Arms the other 2 are are not marked. The kit mag is marked on the bottom and has contured sides the 2 unmarked are flat sided. All 4 seem to work the same.
Tried it out today with multiple brands of ammo, Wolf, Remington, Federal, Winchester and a couple more imported brands.
I had 6 malfunctions in 440 rounds, 2 failure to feed (one nose up and one down) and 4 stovepipes.
The info with the kit states that Federal ammo does not work well with it but I had no more problems than with the other brands.
The kit is a slide (aluminum), removeable barrel and recoil spring. With it mounted on the frame the whole thing seems to weight nothing.
This thing is a pretty good shooter, not target grade by any means but as or more accurate than a Buckmark Camper I owned or a standard Ruger I have fired.
The stovepipe malfunctions seem more ammo related than otherwise. The round fired prior seemed weak and on the last two stovepipes I could tell when they were going to happen.
It has already helped me in that I have found that when I rapid fire I have been changing my finger placement on the trigger slightly causing my groups to open up a little.
Recoil is of course none and the sights are GLOCK with adjustable rear sight (neat).
At 7 yards I could keep 2 to 3 inch groups at slow fire, me not the gun, and 5 inch groups in rapid fire.
The kit cost $250 and I got the 3 additional mags for $25. Overall I am very happy with it. The mags are 10 rounders by the way since Advantage Arms is located in Valencia, California.
I also got a look at a Ciener (sp) Arms conversion kit, very nice, also.
Advantage Arms Inc. - Handgun Conversion Kits - Official Manufacturer Site

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Personally, I'm not a big fan of conversions. Sure, you can save money on ammo shooting .22 rounds. But the way I see it, if I wanted to shoot .22, which I do, I'd buy a .22 rifle and or handgun, which I plan on. They're just plain fun and cheap to shoot.

But for me, as for the conversion, I bought my Glock in .40 S&W to shoot .40 S&W. That's the recoil I want to get use to. I don't want to shoot .22 out of my Glock and then when I go to shoot the .40 S&W out of it I'm not familiar with it. That's just me. Others have said similar while still others love conversion kits. The main reason is to save money while practicing. Again, just buy a good .22 rifle and/or handgun and practice away.

But to ask, so basically all in all on a scale of 1 for worst to 10 best, where would you one, rank the brand or maker of the conversion kit you bought and that on that same scale, where would you rate doing the conversion? I can tell buy what you wrote you were for the most part quite happy with the kit, but the scale will give me a better idea is all.

In no way did or do I intend to do anything other than express MHO with conversion kits. All I intended to do in saying what I did. Only pointing this out as I didn't want you to take it the wrong way. Not that you will or anything. Just making sure up front. lol

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would give the kit a least an 8. It helps me in practicing my trigger control and sight picture. I do understand your comments on using the round the firearm is chambered for but besides the training aspect it is just plain fun to shoot the GLOCK 23 with the conversion kit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an Advantage Arms conversion for my G22 and a Marvel for my 1911. I have mounted the same Heinie sight on the AA kit so I have the same sight picture for both. Yes recoil is different but trigger and sights are the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts