Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really wasn't looking to get that fixed. It's not mine but a co worker's and it was salvaged for parts.

No one really knows why it blew. The suspicion is poor engineering on the .45 model.

Anyway, the owner, after a significant period of recovering from wounds, bought a Kimber to replace his Glock.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
I've seen photos of similar damage to plastic pistols, which occurred when a bullet gets pushed back into the case, during a jam or when the same round is chambered repeatedly and not fired...like in a LEO pistol.

I had a similar experience with my XD45. Fortunately, my pistol withstood the excess pressure when firing a round where the bullet had been pushed back into the case. Ever since then I've been very careful with rounds that I repeatedly chamber and don't shoot, and with any rounds that may have jammed.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I really wasn't looking to get that fixed. It's not mine but a co worker's and it was salvaged for parts.

No one really knows why it blew. The suspicion is poor engineering on the .45 model.

Anyway, the owner, after a significant period of recovering from wounds, bought a Kimber to replace his Glock.

Actually, Glock would do nothing since he was using reloaded ammo.
Actually, by your own admission, you've identified one of the most common causes of a kB!... reloaded ammo.

Most, if not all GLOCKs are made very well and very durable. It was likely a double-charge or 'over'-charge of the reloaded ammunition. I suspected reloaded ammo the second I saw the pictures.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
if it were factory ammo, glock would most likely replace the pistol. since it was reloaded, the pistol is a write off, minus a couple of small parts.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
That looks really nasty !!! This is a good reminder to owners of plastic frame pistols to rotate ammo in there guns and use extreme care if you reload.

I'm very sold on Glocks but I'll never own one...A.H

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, by your own admission, you've identified one of the most common causes of a kB!... reloaded ammo.

Most, if not all GLOCKs are made very well and very durable. It was likely a double-charge or 'over'-charge of the reloaded ammunition. I suspected reloaded ammo the second I saw the pictures.
OK. But why have I never seen this problem with a 1911?

P.S. It doesn't count if MOST are made well. ALL need to be made well. That means with enough tolerance for hot loads. If the desigh is good enough for a 9mm, that doesn't mean it's good enough for a .45.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
there are kabooms with any pistol. steel framed guns just dont disintegrate when it happens. some glocks have been prone to this problem, as for a while glock was over ramping their barrels.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Sounds like it may have kaboomed due to the reloaded ammo. No proof it was due to the gun. I'd say, too hot a reload.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
That also appears to be a Second Generation pistol, as it doesn't have any rail nor finger grooves on the grip, but has the stippling on the grip front and back. They may have changed the design more than just the outside cosmetics with the Third Generation, but the 2nd Gen didn't have catastrophic failures due to design.

Any pistol will kB! if fed a double-charged round and with a polymer frame (that includes XD's and M&P's) it will shatter the frame as was seen in those pictures.

You can't blame the gun, just the person that was being so inattentive as to put too much of a charge in a reload. If it was the person that was using the firearm, as the saying goes: "You reap what you sew." I'm not saying anyone, save God, is perfect, but when we're dealing with potentially self-lethal instruments, an extra measure of caution is absolutely necessary.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That also appears to be a Second Generation pistol, as it doesn't have any rail nor finger grooves on the grip, but has the stippling on the grip front and back. They may have changed the design more than just the outside cosmetics with the Third Generation, but the 2nd Gen didn't have catastrophic failures due to design.

Any pistol will kB! if fed a double-charged round and with a polymer frame (that includes XD's and M&P's) it will shatter the frame as was seen in those pictures.

You can't blame the gun, just the person that was being so inattentive as to put too much of a charge in a reload. If it was the person that was using the firearm, as the saying goes: "You reap what you sew." I'm not saying anyone, save God, is perfect, but when we're dealing with potentially self-lethal instruments, an extra measure of caution is absolutely necessary.
According to my co-worker, the reloads were done on a Dillon press by guys who shot and reloaded 3,000 rounds a month. He is a Front Sight grad (I'm not sure what that means), but I take as an honest, reliable fellow. He is pretty sure it's the gun as that never happened before or since.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
People argued with me before about Glocks...They have done the same thing with factory ammo...and it is almost Impossible to double charge a pistol case with powder, It overflows and you see it Immediately...
2 glocks came apart in Alaska when fired Cold ( Frozen)...with factory ammo.
I still won't own a plastic gun !!!
(Or a Taurus Either!LOL)
Rich

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would also like to point out, from the pictures, most of the KB, appears to have gone down, toward the trigger area. I'm not seeing a lot of damage by the barrel, except for maybe the extractor or loaded chamber indicator area?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm no expert, but I would also like to point out, from the pictures, most of the KB, appears to have gone down, toward the trigger area. I'm not seeing a lot of damage by the barrel, except for maybe the extractor or loaded chamber indicator area?
As best I can remember, the round at the top of the mag had something to do with it.

He fired two or three shots normally then it went boom.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The same thing can happen if you fire a round with no powder, the primer pushes the bullet into the barrel, then the next charge blows the gun apart.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
As best I can remember, the round at the top of the mag had something to do with it.

He fired two or three shots normally then it went boom.
Again, I'm no expert, but the trigger area is totally destroyed. Like the KB went downward. I'll try and find the article I once saw and post it...

Ok, I just found the article, and some of the pictures in this article, are of the same exact ones you have here. Take a look. Is someone just blowing smoke to stir the pot? Because it is the same exact pictures and gun, a model 21! I guess it was a case failure which would explain the trigger area getting hit the worst? Blowing downward?

The Gun Zone -- Catastrophic Failures

Here's a good explanation of an A typical KB.

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

1 - 20 of 71 Posts