Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to purchase my first real hand gun other than my .22 for plinking, I like the style of the 1911 but the all Gocks seem to be realy reliable. I am mainly looking for a gun that i will be able to trust my life with if need be, So if i havent cleaned it in a while or it has some dirt or cheap ammo it will still functian flawlessly, I was leaning toward a 1911 but herd if they are customized to much or upgraded they wont be as reliable. Well i'd appacerate some help,Thanks!
Colt,

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
i like full sized steel pistols. my vote? 1911

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If you're thinking you want high-reliability with it perhaps being dirty or some grit in it, then the GLOCK is the only way to go. 1911 is a dang-fine firearm and works much better than most in adverse environments, but I have yet to see someone do this to a 1911: Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

I own a G27 in .40S&W and it's my only handgun, it's my CC firearm that I trust my, and other innocent civilians', life with. What's slightly ironic is the handgun that I shoot the best and feels most comfortable is the Kimber fullsize 1911's. Though, I've cloverleafed two rounds (first two of the day) out of my 3.5" barreled subcompact GLOCK at 25 yards. If I need better accuracy than that, I'm doing something very, very wrong.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Because I like to keep my hands in one piece when I shoot.

Lol...I know, 99.9% of the thousands of glocks out there don't blow up...

I just hate glocks. :09:

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts

Because I like to keep my hands in one piece when I shoot.

Lol...I know, 99.9% of the thousands of glocks out there don't blow up...

I just hate glocks. :09:
me too. for some reason they just bother me

and i try not to agree with_______just__a__car_ too much!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
me too. for some reason they just bother me

and i try not to agree with_______just__a__car_ too much!
Dork. :09:

At least I didn't go bashing the 1911.:smashfreakB:

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
No one has asked the question yet, what do you want this gun for? To carry? Just to plink with? Home defense?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
No one has asked the question yet, what do you want this gun for? To carry? Just to plink with? Home defense?
My guess would be for Carry and/or Home Defense, since the OP stated that they wanted a gun to trust their life to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would have to say both are very reliable....pick the one which you can shoot the best and fits your hands the best....we will be hear for years arguing this one....my vote 1911 all the way, buy a decent one and no mods should be needed thus making a very reliable weapon....and if you can't decide between the two, buy a polymer frame 1911, best of both worlds

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get a 1911

you don't want a glock grenade now do ya...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My vote is for a Springfield XD!

I know it's not one of the options but if you thought about buying a Glock why not just get a XD.

If you go the 1911 route then get a Springfield Micro Compact 45

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
In all honestly, lets take a look:

1911:
Proven design
Superior stopping power
About as reliable as they come
Only 7-8 round mags
Accurate

Glock:
Proven design
Wide range of calibers
9mm will kill someone
High cap mags
Accurate
As reliable as they come

In the end it's all up to you. While the 1911 is a great gun, probably the favorite handgun I own, having less is never better, remember that. Smaller, lighter gun with 17 rounds vs larger, heavier gun with 8 rounds. You get up into the $500 range you can also start to look at H&K and Sig. Matter a fact you can get used Sig 226's for $400-$450. Now, before I zip up my flame suit, I'm not knocking the 1911's. A Chevy 350 is a great motor, but there is a reason they don't go into everything anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pred and everyone thanks thus far H&K also sounds liek a geat option also also i had not herd of the polymer frame 1911's do you know who makes those?
Thanks,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kimber makes the BP Ten...4 or 5 inch barrel. I own one and love it. The Kimber is a high capacity frame too so 13+1. MSRP 636-1170

Wilson combat has one available too, the KZ45 or KZ9 (.45 and 9mm), 4 or 5 inch barrel, not sure of capacity but think it is 10 for the .45. MSRP 1360-1410

There might be more out there but I don't know of them. Mine weighs 34 ounces and is a 5 inch model. I have shot more than a few thousand rounds through it and not one malfuction at all. Never put it on a sandbag but the pistol is more accurate than I am. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
If your going to get into the intricate workings and want a product to work with and possibly customize. The 1911 is good. It is also good left alone, sometimes better. IMOHO it does take a bit more regular practice to be SAFE and proficient with. This applies to pistols like the High Power, CZ75, and others similar in design.

If you want a rock steady out of the box proven design that will work with minimal fussing around. The Glock and several other "modern" styles are all good.

Moral of the story. Get a gun and know it well.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
My personal preferences are the M1911A1 and the Hi-power, but I will agree with previous posts get what you are comfortable with something that suits you and the intended use to which you will use the sidearm, then drill, dry fire, learn how to operate the safeties and do unload reload drills until they become second nature and you are able to perform them from muscle memory without having to conscienely thinking it through . Practice marksmanship until all the fundamentals fall into place as if you were born to them. Then you're ready to use that sidearm in defense of life or property

1 - 20 of 50 Posts